BAD_POOL_HEADER" then the message goes on telling you lots more regarding

Uninstalling any recent programs etc. (there has been no real recent

Programs and naturally this error is caused by something to do with the

Conversion).

I tried rebooting many times and the same problem keeps happening. After

Approx 5-7 minutes it reverts to the same blue screen message in ALL

Circumstances..I.e.. If I log on as normal or if I don't log on and don't do

anything.

NOTE 1: someone suggested the following but it did not help "Switch off Microsoft's indexing service.

You can do this by clicking the start button, select "Run", then type "msconfig", then select the "Services" TAB,

Scroll down to the Indexing Service and Switch it off. Reboot your computer, and good luck - maybe it will work"

NOTE 2: for some reason I am not able to get into Safe Mode now. Any suggestion on how to do that other than the usual way?

If you can help solve this problem it would be very, very much appreciated.

Needless to say, I am able to write to you because I am using my wife's

Computer.

Thank you for your time!

Did the conversion complete OK, uninterupted by blue screen?

Although I can't be certain, your issue looks like a driver issue (NTFS.sys is a driver too), but might be another driver...

Since you can't go into safe mode, the first step now should be to try and repair the filesystem if it's damaged: Use-Windows-Recovery-Console-from-XP-CD. Use your XP CD.

After that, boot normally and try to evacuate your documents/data to another place. I think it would be preferable to format the hard disk and install XP fresh.

GL

You can try that too (preferably after checkdisk with or without recovery console), but nothing beats clean install. The "repair install" doesn't touch 3rd party drivers, doesn't clean registry and files from junk that piled up over the years, and malware (or bad drivers) can still survive.

It might work, but if it doesn't - you have wasted your time and still have to do clean install. The only nuisance with clean install is that you have to redo your settings all over again... for Windows and all programs (after reinstalling them). :angry: But you get to format the drive "properly". :)

If you're hellbent on repairing it, try some forum where users are willing to analyze logs (I'm not sure if you can do it here?) you post from HijackThis, AutoRuns or similar programs. In any case, you should provide more info (computer configuration, SP level, installed programs...)

GL

You can try that too (preferably after checkdisk with or without recovery console), but nothing beats clean install. The "repair install" doesn't touch 3rd party drivers, doesn't clean registry and files from junk that piled up over the years, and malware (or bad drivers) can still survive.

It might work, but if it doesn't - you have wasted your time and still have to do clean install. The only nuisance with clean install is that you have to redo your settings all over again... for Windows and all programs (after reinstalling them). :angry: But you get to format the drive "properly". :)

If you're hellbent on repairing it, try some forum where users are willing to analyze logs (I'm not sure if you can do it here?) you post from HijackThis, AutoRuns or similar programs. In any case, you should provide more info (computer configuration, SP level, installed programs...)

GL

I think you're right. I just do not seem to be able to fix whatever the darn problem is and it's best to do a clean install. This is not going to be easy for me because I don't know how so I'll have to find step-by-step instructions somewhere.

One more thing, I have the XP Upgrade CD (because I upgraded from ME). Is it best to totally wipeout my "C" drive, buy a new XP CD and install that. My current CD only includes SP 1 so I would need hundreds of updates (SP2, SP3)?

I don't know about upgrade CDs and licensing issues... Hopefully someone else will be able to answer that. Maybe you will need to buy retail XP.

If you install SP3, you don't need SP1 and SP2 (they are included). There are also few more updates after SP3. If you work on only one computer, I think the quickest way would be to let Windows Update take care of that.

One more thing - disconnect the E: drive during initial install so it would not mess up drive letters. After installation has completed, shut down and reconnect it.

GL

[quote name='GrofLuigi' date='Sep 19 2008, 01:48 PM' post='797767'

One more thing - disconnect the E: drive during initial install so it would not mess up drive letters. After installation has completed, shut down and reconnect it.

GL

How would you disconnect E: drive?

I have another 3 important questions:

(1) If I do want to wipe out everything on "C" drive. What would you recommend to accomplish this task (a built in utility, a utility I could download from online, a utility I could purchase in a store, or some other means)?

(2) Is it a problem to conduct this clean install if I currently only get 3 minutes before the blue screen appears?

(3) IMPORTANT: Is there any way that an install can get buggered (by me not doing it correctly) to the extent that its no longer possible to install XP?

I greatly appreciate your time. Thank you.

I have another 3 important questions:

(1) If I do want to wipe out everything on "C" drive. What would you recommend to accomplish this task (a built in utility, a utility I could download from online, a utility I could purchase in a store, or some other means)?

(2) Is it a problem to conduct this clean install if I currently only get 3 minutes before the blue screen appears?

(3) IMPORTANT: Is there any way that an install can get buggered (by me not doing it correctly) to the extent that its no longer possible to install XP?

I greatly appreciate your time. Thank you.

(1) Most simple would be during XP setup. It offers to delete all partitions, create some and format them. Otherwise, there are many freeware and payware partition managers or Boot CDs - you can't format the boot drive(partition) from Windows itself.

(2) That bugs me too - there is still possible there is a hardware malfunction. I don't know what to tell you (and at the same time to be 100% certain) - a clean install can cure all your problems except for a hardware problem. In any case, I think a clean install couldn't hurt. But how would you test your hardware? The safe mode of your current installation doesn't help because it's presumably borked. If you have the time, try some Linux live CD - just boot and let it sit there and hope to report any oddities. MemTest could also help - but it tests only memory.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SUGGEST A HARDWARE TESTING/DIAGNOSTICS BOOT CD?

(3) No, you can always wipe and start fresh.

GL

Do you have any other computers or is this the only computer you have? Seems you must have access to another computer as you are posting here.

Anyway, you could take the challenge and build a bartpe cd. Or search for UBCD for windows. you might be able to download ubcd for windows. it will give you an xp like interface and might have some tools you can use to diagnose.

i seriously think you should do a clean install as well. this will ensure the correct drivers are installed and there are no incompatibilities. also, just run the setup from the CD. enable boot from CD from your bios or set your CD to boot first. it should let you delete all partitions and create let you do a clean install.

HOWEVER, your major question is that your CD is an upgrade. XP Setup make ask you to provide proof of a prev version of windows, i think. that's how the prev versions worked. If so, keep you ME Cd handy and put it in when asked.

• 2 weeks later...
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SUGGEST A HARDWARE TESTING/DIAGNOSTICS BOOT CD?

These feature some recovery and analysis tools (as for boot sectors, header size etc)

http://sysresccd.org/Main_Page

http://partedmagic.com/wiki/PartedMagic.ph...gic.ScreenShots

This one is in German, but the installed software is in english (lots of HD-vendors integrity check-tools)

http://www.heise.de/software/download/knop...d_edition/37894

Just click on "Zur Download Seite" ...

Edited by Kaneda