Matrox & M-Audio -- both have Win 9x, XP, Vista Drivers

Holarctic

Most of the M Audio Sound cards have windows 98 drivers all the way to Windows Vista

Delta Audiophile 2496 is one example; this card is around can be found at www.sweetwater.com

www.matrox.com

The G550 and G450 SHOULD have win 9x drivers but for some reason they are not still listed on their website. Both of these cards have been around for YEARS and are still available.

The G550 also has a PCI-E version. Matrox and M-Audio is marketed mostly toward business.

My question is:

Is there any way for any of these modern Intel boards to work with Windows 98SE:

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/moth...body+dt_extreme

If you put a M-Audio Sound card, and a G550 video card, all that is missing that is MANDATORY is the Chipset driver and LAN driver. The LAN Driver can perhaps be found with a lan card.

Is it possible to get Win 9x drivers for these modern intel chipsets?

My question is:

Is there any way for any of these modern Intel boards to work with Windows 98SE:

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/moth...body+dt_extreme

If you put a M-Audio Sound card, and a G550 video card, all that is missing that is MANDATORY is the Chipset driver and LAN driver. The LAN Driver can perhaps be found with a lan card.

Is it possible to get Win 9x drivers for these modern intel chipsets?

Hi Holarctic,

That's a good question and is anyone's guess. I've been thinking about *the chipset* driver problem

myself on new Intel boards. Unless I'm wrong I remember there is a post somewhere on this forum where one adventurous member

got some older Intel Chipset Drivers and installed it with a newer Intel chipset and he mentioned that 98se worked, although there

were a couple of exclamation marks in System Properties, but that didnt affect the operation of the OS.

Again you have to deal with Sata Hard Drives if these newer boards have dispensed with ide totally, some already have.

Yet one member is able to run 98se on a Sata drive, see:http://www.msfn.org/board/Modern-motherboards-which-are-working-wi-t97588.html&pid=755928&mode=threaded&start=100#entry755928

That link dealt with a successful 98se install on a Sata drive but on a Via motherboard using Via's Raid driver, but whether

the same can be done on an Intel board is moot.

Your MatroxG550/M-audio/lan card would have no problems as drivers for these are available.

One look at New Motherboards offered for sale on almost all if not all online shops shows a very grim picture as

far as getting boards with 98se compatibility is concerned. And with Via quitting the chipset business it's really bad

as they used to have chipsets supporting 98se; this probably leaves SIS - but I cant comment as I havent used an Sis

chipset board before.

Wonder if any forum members have views on this interesting topic.

Best

tee charoen

singapore

Hardware: Asus M2V, Amd64 X2 6400+ cpu, ide drives x 2 (320gb capacity), Pci-ex vga Powercolor Ati X850xt,

Ram 2 x 512mb ddr2-800, 1 x Dvd-rw and 1 x Cd-rw,.

Edited by tee charoen

:hello: Check any newer systems with W2K and up for your MoBo's Drivers then copy from its O.S. files and just add these to 98SE as i did to a newer graphic and ethernet/lan card that wasn't included in 98SE CDROM files;all work great!!! :thumbup DriverAgent.com may be of help? :sneaky: goodluck :whistle:

:hello: Check any newer systems with W2K and up for your MoBo's Drivers then copy from its O.S. files and just add these to 98SE as i did to a newer graphic and ethernet/lan card that wasn't included in 98SE CDROM files;all work great!!! :thumbup DriverAgent.com may be of help? :sneaky: goodluck :whistle:

Hello thydreamwalker,

Thanks. If I get you right, you are saying that with, for example, say a new Intel P35/45 board, you first

install any Win2k or Xp Os, and then copy from its System and Inf folders *the files* that are associated with the new motherboard to

some holding folder, then install Win98se and copy these motheboard system drivers to Win98se System and Inf folders?

Although with this approach one would have to do some detective work first and isolate those critical driver and inf files

beforehand.

Well, sounds probable - and worth a try although the final outcome seems unpredictable; still I suppose its worth experimenting, at

worst one merely sticks with either Win2k or Xp that were first installed.

You say you have done this with a newer graphic card and a lan card, but have you done this with a newer Intel mainboard chipset?

Whatever, it would be nice to hear from anyone who's tried this graft and paste method - there may be something to it.

Best,

tee charoen

member since 06