Please help me deciding buying the Power Supply.

ajy0903

Can anyone help me with deciding buying the power supplypower supply ?

I live in USA.

I want the 850W power supply that support both 4 and 8 pins for 12V cpu power.

So, I went to Neweggnewegg .com to check out the power supplies that I want.

When I did that, I have seen the customers' review of those power supplies.

That made me scared of buying power supply.

Cause people had put cons of every single power supplies there are.

And all of those power supplies had at least 1 or 2 or more problems with power supplies.

Can anyone please help me and recommand me a good power supply?

P.S. Should I listen to the customer review of all the power supply products?

Every PSU will have it's manufacturing defects. You're bound to get some angry customers posting about the product.

Also - if you're asking these kinds of questions about your system build, you do NOT need an 850W PSU. Believe me when I say it - you don't need that much power. What are the specs of your computer? We'll be able to help you a lot more with finding the PSU that will best suit your needs. My guess is that you won't need to spend more than $100. :)

Every PSU will have it's manufacturing defects. You're bound to get some angry customers posting about the product.

Also - if you're asking these kinds of questions about your system build, you do NOT need an 850W PSU. Believe me when I say it - you don't need that much power. What are the specs of your computer? We'll be able to help you a lot more with finding the PSU that will best suit your needs. My guess is that you won't need to spend more than $100. :)

Well.....

I kinda diagree with you but I'm not meaning to argue about it.

I plan to upgrade my current computer and my 550W Power Supply died few days ago.

And these are what I have in my pc and what I plan to get upgrades for my pc:

1. Intel Core 2 Duo 8400/8500/later or Latest Intel Core 2 Quad CPU

2. ASUS Motherboard that has chipset of P45/X58/later that has 4 and/or 8-Pin ATX12X CPU connector

3. 2x 80GB SATA and SATA2 hdd

4. 1x 200GB SATA and 1x 500GB SATA2 HDD

5. 1x SATA DVD+-RW

6. 1x Blu-ray/HD Rom Drive or BLU-ray/HD RW with DVD +-RW Combo or similar to it.

7. 3x Case Fans

8. Dual Channel 4GB DDR2 RAM that support my new motherboard that I will be buying

9. 1x Floppy Drive

10. 1x Zip Drive

11. At least 6 USB/USB2 Devices

12. Latest Crossfire/SLI Graphic Card

Edited by ajy0903

Still sounds like you don't need more then then a 450W to 550W power supply.

Crossfire/SLI using two graphics card.

Each one card requires at least 450-550W for GRAPHIC CARD not the full computer usuage.

The requirements you are saying is only use for graphic card

If you add more, I'm sure you need more.

That's not true. The recommended power supply rating for various video cards is completely overrated. My system here uses 300W AC (roughly 250W DC) when running at full tilt (CPU and both graphics cards stressed), and it's got less power-friendly components than most systems do. Just because a PSU is rated for 550W doesn't mean that it is quality, or that it can actually produce 550W. I've tested several PSUs that can't run at their maximum power output for more than a minute before turning themselves off.

Power supply calculators overestimate the amount of power systems actually draw. Have a look at what some real-life systems draw out of the wall here.

3. 2x 80GB SATA and SATA2 hdd

4. 1x 200GB SATA

That's a lot of old hard drives (80/80/200). Assuming they each use 10W, and cheap power @ ~10 cents/KWh and average taxes, they cost you about $30 of power per year (not counting possible extra air conditioning during summer).

I've seen 500GB drives for $50 a few times before, so the new drive would:

-give you 140GB extra space

-pay for itself in little over a year in power savings alone (so over 2 years, you'd have 140GB extra for less than $0) -- quicker if power costs more there

-make your PC produce less heat, thus making it run cooler, which will also make it quieter as fans don't need to be spinning as fast -- and also due to less drives spinning (and new HDs tend to be quieter too)

-less stress on your PSU due to disk spin up (count ~2A per drive)

-you'd free up some SATA ports on your motherboard, as well as drive bays (more room for expansion, no need to buy extra controllers, etc)

Old hard drives aren't worth using (except perhaps in USB enclosures, for backups and what not). And that's without considering they're mechanical devices so they wear out (older drives are more at risk of failure). New hard drives practically pay for themselves...

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a big fan of modular power supplies, so from what you've got listed here a 625W Enermax MODU82+ would fit the bill nicelyand have headroom for the future (and it's a very efficient power supply to boot).

Here's a few Q's for you about modular PSU's...

1. don't you worry that over time the modular plugs would get loose?

2. what if in the future you need to replace them because you're rough on them, are they standardized in the industry? Could I buy new modular plugs on their own?

(New to this modular stuff... have steered clear out of ignorance of them)

1. don't you worry that over time the modular plugs would get loose?

the plugs kinda clip in (atleast they do on my enermax PSU)

2. what if in the future you need to replace them because you're rough on them, are they standardized in the industry? Could I buy new modular plugs on their own?

yes, i think they r pretty standard..

its actually really beneficial to have one , they r very versitile, u can add/remove unwanted connectors this is good if your into cable management