Downgrading Vista?

theruins

Vista is great in some ways.. but its using way to much of my RAM... ~515 just for system crap..

this is my computer

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...;ListType=Model

Hitachi HTS542516K9SA00 ATA Device <-- The Harddrive

I wanted to try and use that NLite program that ive read about, since i dont want to go out and spend the money on an outdated usb floppy drive..

could anyone please help me finding the driver i need to get my computer to load xp?

Also, if there is anything else i will need, please let me know :/

like should i get ALL drivers for xp? or what.. first time downgrading from an OS.. and they sure didnt make this one to easy to downgrade..

Vista isn't "using" that much RAM actually, it is caching it. In other words, it is kind of sorting the RAM to make it useful to you. When your system needs to use the RAM, it let's go of it long enough to complete the task that was called for, and then it goes back to caching it again.

By doing this, it is letting your system make better use of the RAM that it has. What good is having RAM if it is just going to sit there in the first place and never be used? As with my system, what good is having 4 Gigs of RAM if the system is only going to use 200 Megs of it? The rest of it is technically wasted.

At least with Vista, the RAM is being "organized" so that if/when I need it, it will be readily and quickly available.

NO, I will not sit here and say that Vista doesn't actually use more RAM than XP, but I also won't deny that XP used more RAM than 98SE either.

OK, as for your question. First make sure that you have a legitimate XP disc (which I'm sure that you probably do), then go back to the Toshiba site and make sure that you download ALL of the XP drivers that your system needs (IF they are available).

You probably won't be able to make a good nLite disc in Vista because of a "bug" that prevents the install key from working when using nLite on a Vista machine, so you're going to have to find a system that has XP on it already.

Once you do that, make sure to browse the nLite forum here for some tips and instructions on how to make a nLite disc, and you should be all set.

One things though, if you downgrade to Vista, Toshiba probably won't offer any kind of software support if you should ever need it.

In MY opinion, if you want to get rid of some of what's using your RAM, find and download "PC Decrapifier". It is a program that finds and can get rid of all of the "junk" that the manufacturer's put on a factory built system, and also go into msconfig and eliminate some of the programs that are running in the background.

While downgrading to XP can be done, a lot of times it's easier to make Vista work for you instead.

Vista isn't "using" that much RAM actually, it is caching it. In other words, it is kind of sorting the RAM to make it useful to you. When your system needs to use the RAM, it let's go of it long enough to complete the task that was called for, and then it goes back to caching it again.

By doing this, it is letting your system make better use of the RAM that it has. What good is having RAM if it is just going to sit there in the first place and never be used? As with my system, what good is having 4 Gigs of RAM if the system is only going to use 200 Megs of it? The rest of it is technically wasted.

At least with Vista, the RAM is being "organized" so that if/when I need it, it will be readily and quickly available.

NO, I will not sit here and say that Vista doesn't actually use more RAM than XP, but I also won't deny that XP used more RAM than 98SE either.

OK, as for your question. First make sure that you have a legitimate XP disc (which I'm sure that you probably do), then go back to the Toshiba site and make sure that you download ALL of the XP drivers that your system needs (IF they are available).

You probably won't be able to make a good nLite disc in Vista because of a "bug" that prevents the install key from working when using nLite on a Vista machine, so you're going to have to find a system that has XP on it already.

Once you do that, make sure to browse the nLite forum here for some tips and instructions on how to make a nLite disc, and you should be all set.

One things though, if you downgrade to Vista, Toshiba probably won't offer any kind of software support if you should ever need it.

In MY opinion, if you want to get rid of some of what's using your RAM, find and download "PC Decrapifier". It is a program that finds and can get rid of all of the "junk" that the manufacturer's put on a factory built system, and also go into msconfig and eliminate some of the programs that are running in the background.

While downgrading to XP can be done, a lot of times it's easier to make Vista work for you instead.

Well, i wasnt having a problem with Vista at all for a while, but I started playing a game called Last Chaos, and.. having a integrated video card, and the system using or "storing the memory" or whatever it does lol.. but i started playing the game and with having the memory being stored for other things, its putting the system usage up to ~1.1 gig with running the game and after a while it crashes.

I had no problem with the game on my old computer (though it didnt have a integrated video card..) which probably part of the problem im having. As for nlite, ty for the heads up.

Also, I have used msconfig, and turned off alot of the preinstalled, and installed things that i have installed, turned them off. (which is how i got down to 500 as it used to be ~700 :( )

Vista isn't "using" that much RAM actually, it is caching it.

Look at Vista's Task Manager.

cachevsuse.jpg

Observe the areas I marked in red. These are "cache".

Observe the areas I marked in blue. These are "used."

Vista differentiates cached RAM (ie. Superfetch) from used RAM.

So yes, when Vista is "using" a gig of RAM, it really us using a gig of RAM, in addition to whatever it's caching.

This is easily testable by simply disabling Superfetch. The cached RAM will plummet, but the used RAM won't.

Looking at the driver list it is using an Intel chipset for the SATA controller. Download it from Intel and integrate them into the cd.

Thank you, I looked on the site, and this is what i found... http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-025753.htm

So it would be the center download for my chipset correct? And I get the one for XP correct? since ill be reverting to it.. figuring so.

Also.. if i used that center one.. it brings me to a list of things.. drivers and then software...

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...4&submit=Go!

So I should dl the 2nd link correct?

Now i need to find a someone with XP that will allow me to use nlite on thier comp..

Edited by theruins

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Fi...?ProductID=2101

is what you will actually want and download 1 or 2.

k.. should be the last question.. :/

when i go to download that.. it shows all the different ones.. but my chipset is 960 .. would it still be compatible?

Also, do i need to find all my drivers for XP?

Heres what it says..

This driver provides support for high-capacity & fault-tolerant Serial ATA (SATA) RAID 5 arrays and high-performance & fault-tolerant SATA RAID 10 arrays on select Intel® 4 Series, 3 Series, 965, 975X, 955X and 945 chipset-based platforms. It provides support for high-performance SATA RAID 0 arrays & redundant SATA RAID 1 arrays on select Intel® 4 Series, 3 Series, 965, 975X, 955X, 945, 925, 915 chipset-based platforms. It also provides AHCI support on select Intel® 4 Series, 3 Series, 965, 975X, 955X, 945, 925 and 915 chipset-based platforms, as well as on Mobile Intel® 915/910 chipset-based platforms.

Note: Intel® RAID Technology requires the Intel® ICH9R/ICH9M-E/ICH10R SATA RAID controller hub, Intel® 82801HR I/O controller hub (ICH8R), Intel® 631xESB/632xESB I/O controller hub, Intel® 82801GR/GH I/O controller hub (ICH7R/DH), Intel® 82801FR I/O controller hub (ICH6R).

Edited by theruins

First off, that system only has 1 GB of RAM. Using Vista with less than 2 GB of RAM is the number one cause of computer cancer. :)

On a similar note, either back up your data and downgrade to XP or add another 1 GB of RAM to your system (at least)...

Also, turn Superfetch off. I personally think it shouldn't be turned on until a system has around 4 GB of RAM (in other words, not at all in Vista x86).

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> right-click "Superfetch" -> left-click Properties -> change Startup Type to "Disabled." -> Stop the service -> Reboot.