File Copy Error "Roulette"

Skreekins

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am attempting to install windows XP on my laptop after replacing a failed hard drive. I am having an issue with the windows installation. I am not sure what is causing the issue, so I will attempt to be as descriptive as possible.

The problem is occurring during the first phase of the windows install when it is "copying files." It seems to randomly pick a file (usually a DLL) and stop the install, claiming it is not a valid windows image file. I can then either retry, skip or quit. "Retry" RARELY works and "skip" leads to a BSOD later in the install process. The puzzling thing is that it seems to be a different file every time I attempt an install. The file that couldn't copy the last time will copy just fine, but a different one will mess things up. Occasionally the offending file will be a repeat, but all in all I've seen about 20 different files claimed to not be valid image files, but all of them have successfully copied at least once during a different attempt.

Even the BSODs seem to be random, but the most common ones are "IRCQ Not Less or Equal" and "Page Fault in Non Paged Area"

MORE INFO:

My laptop is a Gateway CX2691.

I am using nLite to slipstream all of its drivers for two reasons: 1) I need to slipstream the SATA drivers so windows installer will recognize the hard drive, and 2) on one of the two attempts I actually successfully completed the install (I had to re-install later, explained below), I had an issue getting some of the drivers to apply after the install when I slipstreamed nothing BUT the SATA drivers, such as the battery monitor, PCI drivers (no optical drive), wireless drivers, etc. My second successful install had all (most?) of the drivers slipstreamed in and the components I had issues with before were working properly. That install, however, also failed later.

I am slipstreaming every driver found on this page, except for the BIOS drivers. Some of them require you to run an executable to install, so those are simply added to the working directory of the nLite install disc for installation later. I am also very careful to not include vista drivers or XP64 drivers that may come along with the download.

The windows install disc I am modifying is a legitimate and official copy of Windows XP Pro SP1.

I am using nLite mostly for the slipstreaming function and the tweaks section. At first I was more aggressive with removing components, but now I generally use the "safe" preset to remove components and do not change that preset.

REGARDING THE TWO "SUCCESSFUL" INSTALLS

The first successful attempt at installation did not have SP2 or SP3 slipstreamed into the install. I also only slipstreamed the SATA drivers. This install had some of the "file copy roulette" issues I described above, but I basically got lucky in that my fourth or fifth attempt using that disc did not produce any copy errors. I had to reformat and start over because, as I described above, I could not get many of the drivers to apply after the install.

The second successful install was still SP1, but slipstreamed all of the drivers. I eventually got every device working properly, but windows update was not working and I could not get SP2 or any hotfixes to download. I also couldn't install SP2 or SP3 from the standalone executables that I downloaded on my desktop and transferred over on a flash drive. This install was one of my aggressive component removal installs, so I figured I must have removed something key to allowing these updates to take place. I reluctantly reformatted and tried again. Haven't gotten it to work since.

ADDITIONAL INFO

Slipstreaming SP2 or SP3 seems to exacerbate the file copy roulette issue. Out of the 10-15 installation discs I have made, none of the ones that had SP2 or SP3 slipstreamed seemed to give me that lucky streak I need to get past the file copy phase of the install.

I am using the latest version of nLite.

I have tried multiple brands of both CDs and DVDs to burn the image onto, so I do not believe it is a problem with the media.

I have tried slipstreaming the Windows Installer 3.1 hotfix into the install on both SP1 discs and SP2 discs, which did not make a difference.

nLite has gone from start to finish beautifully every time. Every hotfix has been applied and every driver has been incorporated as I have asked. My reason for posting here is that I believe the problem is possibly a setting I can change in nLite or slipstream in a hotfix, etc.

Any suggestions or things I could try?

Edited by Skreekins

Skreekins,

You need to attach (not paste) your LastSession.ini so we can see what your settings are. Are you using a fresh (not nLited before) source when you run nLite? Are you testing on hardware of a virtual system, such as VirtualPC or VirtualBox? - highly recommended. What OS are you running nLite under? My only suggestion at this time is to simplify. That is, try a build with just the the fresh source, the SATA drivers and see it that works, then add SP3 (using fresh source), etc.

Enjoy, John.

I will attach my last session ini file when I get home. As for your other questions:

The source is fresh. I re-copy my XP Pro SP1 disc every time I do another attempt.

I am not using Virtual PC or VirtualBox, opting instead to just use the ridiculous amounts of blank discs I have accumulated and test on the real thing. I will try this though, if only to eliminate hardware as the source of the issue.

I am running nLite under Windows XP SP2 on my desktop system.

I have a feeling it is some sort of driver conflict as my most successful attempt was with a fresh SP1 source and SATA drivers only, but that created a fresh set of issues with being unable to apply drivers after the install (during the install they work fine). Perhaps after uploading my ini file a conflict will come to light that I am missing.

Thanks for your help!

Skreekins,

I don't see anything obvious. Hopefully some else will. I suggest you try one or two things. Install one of he virtual systems I mentioned before and/or remove everything but your hot fix and see if that works. Be sure to start with a fresh copy of your original CD. After something works, start adding items till it fails. This is where a virtual system comes in handy because you can write an ISO with nLite (to a file) and boot your VM from that, never burning a disk.

Enjoy, John.