USB modem - weird issue

jockersoft

Hi,

I'm trying to use the USR8500 ADSL modem with Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit, but I've experienced a weird problem:

connection speed is much slower than with XP and it hangs.

Let me explain it better:

Drivers setup (it is a USB only modem) didn't work for PPPoATM, but went fine for PPPoEthernet and for WAN... but this is probably a minor issue since on XP the modem works with any of these settings.

After drivers setup, the installer forgot to create the new remote connection, so I had to create it manually (i created it following what the installer does on XP: the modem is detected as a ISDN modem, and the number to be dialed is 8,35 and corresponds to the VPI and VCI parameters of my line).

After a few trials and reboots, I can connect to the internet but at a very low speed: 6-7KB/s average with short bursts of 500KB/s and looong delays without any data exchange.

Do you know how to solve a similar problem? Any suggestion (excluding 'buy an ethernet modem/router' :sneaky: )?

Thanks!

Edited by jockersoft

my first thought would be to verify that the modem is actually supported by vista, were you able to find vista compatible drivers for it (just because they installed doesn't mean they are compatible). on there site it lists as vista compatible, thought the drives they have listed are for 98 2000 etc..

Thank you for your replies.

my first thought would be to verify that the modem is actually supported by vista, were you able to find vista compatible drivers for it (just because they installed doesn't mean they are compatible). on there site it lists as vista compatible, thought the drives they have listed are for 98 2000 etc..
no, there are no vista drivers for this modem. The USR website is a bit misleading in this sense: the supported OSes should be colored in red, the unsupported one are in gray, so according to them no OS is supported :o

But the fact it isn't officially supported does not necessary mean it won't work (this is an old modem.. they do not support it anymore).

For example XP is not supported too, but it works perfectly :)

Have any possibility in UAC settings???

Is the installer an .exe executable file?

yes, the installer is an .exe file. I installed the drivers by right clicking on the installer and selecting 'run as an administrator'. Then Vista warned me about 'unknown publisher' a couple of time but at the end the installation succeeded (at least for PPPoEthernet and WAN modes).

If it can help troubleshoot the issue:

trying to ping any IP/domain results in a few successful pings interleaved by some random "request timeout" errors.

Edited by jockersoft

This is right, because your modem's speed is not stable.

And I noticed that USR's page. The OS supports are all gray...

Since this driver is not for Vista, I feel that this is a problem from the difference of Network Components between XP/2000 and Vista...

(I mean the components/drivers in kernel mode)

Of course, this is my guesswork.

However...I cannot give you a workaround...

No available drivers, no work...

(I have seen the driver. Although this driver gives you a INF file, but when you add INF in the window of Add New Hardware or others, this file will lead you to the InstallShield Launcher...

I can't modify this INF file.

Very sorry about this...

:( )