How to get user to enter product key before unattended install starts

I am making up xp home and xp pro discs that are fully unattended except i edit winnt.sif so that the [userData] is no longer complete, so xp setup asks for the key.

I was wondering if there was a way to ask for the product key before installation starts and to add it to winnt.sif so that it goes through setup without asking any questions at all.

I have made lite versions of xp home and pro and i am also looking to make a cd with both versions on it. Both versions are under 350mb.

Only way you can do it is to leave the key out of the answer file. you then just have to fill that bit in manually during the install. im sure you could write a script which fills in the answer file key line before proceeding with the install but if you are putting this on cd or dvd you wont be able to write the line you need.

What about putting on a memory stick?

Only way you can do it is to leave the key out of the answer file. you then just have to fill that bit in manually during the install. im sure you could write a script which fills in the answer file key line before proceeding with the install but if you are putting this on cd or dvd you wont be able to write the line you need.

What about putting on a memory stick?

I have left all the information in the UserData section in the answer file blank which means the name and key are not on the disc. It asks for the key during install, thats what i am trying to get rid of, you start installation.... wait till it pops up asking for the key, then wait for installation to finish.

I wanted to be able to ask the user to enter the details before installation commences and for it to hold it in memory until the information is needed, no need for a memory stick or anything, just get input from the user from the keyboard.

Thanks for the reply though.

Hi,

As far as I know the option to skip the product key during XP SP3 installation is only available to Retail versions of the OS, not OEM ones. Most installs use OEM versions of XP, not retail ones.

I specify a "dummy" but valid key in the WINNT.SIF file and then change this prior to activation. You can change the product key used for activation via the XP Activation Wizard.

I also use a dummy Name and Organisation and then change this in the registry once the OS is installed.

In this way XP will install unattended and then need only minimal changes once installed.

Kind Regards

Simon

Maybe you can make an AutoiT script en run that in winnt.sif

[GuiUnattended]
DetachedProgram="%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\ASK-KEY.EXE"

#NoTrayIcon

#include <Constants.au3>

#Region

#AutoIt3Wrapper_icon=..\CMD Scripts\Icons\1420.ico

#AutoIt3Wrapper_outfile=ASK-KEY.exe

#EndRegion

Opt("ExpandEnvStrings", 1)

Opt("WinWaitDelay", 0)

Opt("WinTitleMatchMode",2)

$var = InputBox("XP Unattended", "Enter Your Windows XP Key.","12345ABCDE12345ABCDE12345","")

;MsgBox(4096, "Result", $var)

WinWaitActive ("Windows XP Professional Setup", "Your Product Key")

EnterSerial()

WinWaitClose("Windows XP Professional Setup", "Your Product Key", 300)

Exit

Func EnterSerial()

WinActivate ("Windows XP Professional Setup", "Your Product Key")

Send($var)

Send("{ENTER}")

EndFunc

• 2 weeks later...

soz glimmerman, i'm not that advanced at this lol,

http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/install-wi...with-retail-cd/

This tells you that you can skip entering the key with sp3, but how do you get it to click next and no???

Thanks for the reply though glimmerman, hopefully i can understand a bit more of that stuff at a later date

Edited by graham6282