Using Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File to slipstream

massedgadget

I am running XP Home SP2 on an AMD system and trying to create an SP3 slipstreamed install disc.

When SP3 was released there was quite a big problem with the Windows Update or normal download. When installing on an AMD system and rebooting it would hang/fail. Apparently there was a amd processor dll missing from these updates. The solution was to download the Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File (http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/details.aspx?familyid=2FCDE6CE-B5FB-4488-8C50-FE22559D164E&displaylang=en) which is 544.9MB. And this worked fine for my current system.

Now I want to format and re-install Win XP Home.

How can I use this SP3 ISO (i.e. it is not an .exe that nlite is expecting) with nlite to create a slipstreamed ISO?

Or is this SP3 ISO a full install disc anyway?

cheers

Unfortunately that file name is not what I get to download. What I get is xpsp3_5512.080413-2113_usa_x86fre_spcd.iso

Not WINDOWSXP-KB936929-SP3-X86-ENU.EXE

Obviously (?) I can't just change the extension from .iso to .exe :-(

And nlite is looking for only a .exe

So just dragging this to my desktop or any other directory will not enable me to identify it and slipstream it.

As far as I am aware I need this iso version so that I get the necessary amd dll (see http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/05/1...ft_blames_oems/ for reason why)

I think you should first burn the ISO image to a disc (image burn, not file burn!), or use a tool like the Daemon Tools to virtually mount the CD.

Then you can copy files from it. Or use a program like ARJ to extract files from the ISO image directly.