Slipstreamed XPSP3, but installs as XPSP0

Well, I have this little problem.

I slipstreamed Service Pack 3 into my XP no service pack CD.

When I use my new slipstreamed cd to install XP, it installs as the original XP (SP0), not the updated one. Any ideas? I'm clueless about where to search.

What did I do wrong? I slipstreamed the SP3 in a Windows XP system, with Service Pack 3 installed by Automatic Updates, not from Vista.

I didn't use any programs like nLite or so.

The system that resulted in SP0 was installed from a XPSP2 BartPE. (Does it really matter?)

Note: When I tried to install from the SP3 file I downloaded from microsoft something like this happened too. After installing, my system was neither SP2 nor SP3, it was something in the middle. After using Automatic Updates I finally got "service pack 3" text in System Properties dialog.

Should I try downloading the file again or am I proceeding wrong somewhere?

It's a really big file :S

Thanks!

Edited by leass_lp

Hi leass_lp,

If your using a WinXP SP0 disk, you'll have to slipstream SP2 first.

Or use WinXP SP2 disk as the base for your sliptream.

SP3 will only update from WinXP SP2.

Whether your Updating or Slipstreaming.

Also bear in mind that SP3 in only ment for Home and Pro, not MCE or Tablet.

Considering that you have 7 posts, we really don't know your experience level. So I hope the questions below don't undermine your capabilities:

How did you slipstream? Manually or nLite?

If manually, describe your steps so we can get an idea if something went wrong here.

Did you create an ISO after slipstreaming?

How did you burn the slipstreamed version to the CD?

Did you get any feedback that the slipstream process was successful?

Also, I believe you can slipstream SP3 to an SP0 XP. Am I wrong? But you can't install SP3 to an SP0 XP install. You have to install SP2 first, then SP3.

Hi leass_lp,

If your using a WinXP SP0 disk, you'll have to slipstream SP2 first.

Or use WinXP SP2 disk as the base for your sliptream.

SP3 will only update from WinXP SP2.

Whether your Updating or Slipstreaming.

Also bear in mind that SP3 in only ment for Home and Pro, not MCE or Tablet.

This is absolutely not true!

SP3 can be slipstreamed to any service packs level. But when installing it is necessary to have service pack 1 already installed.

Cheers ;)

ok, I'll describe the process.

I slipstreamed manually, by opening a cmd in my XP SP3 system. Then copied the contents of my original cd to a folder in desktop. Then got the SP3 file from microsoft. Then I used the /integrate switch and it told me that the integration had been succesful. At this stage, I didn't test if this slipstreamed setup source was able to install a working XP Sp3 system.

Then I made a Windows XP Live with bartpe from ANOTHER source (Windows XP Sp2 setup files, using the same XP Sp0 cd and sp2 exe file downloaded from microsoft download center)

Then I added to BartPE XP Sp2 three programs written by my own that create a custom winnt.sif file and start WINNT32.exe from my XP SP3 files and point to that winnt.sif.

My xp sp3 i386 files are copied to harddisk before executing winnt32.exe to [driveletter]:\source\i386 to (unattended) set windows up and that's it, I can also launch installation from the bootmenu I made that will launch a non-unattended XP SP3 Setup directly from the DVD.

I haven't burned anything yet, I'm testing the ISO created with EasyBoot (it's easy and boots :P ) in a virtual machine with 256 MB of ram and my amd sempron 2200+ overclocked from 1.5 to 1.8 Ghz

I haven't installed SP3 from a SP0 system. I slipstreamed it.

I was thinking about searching for a program that would intercept windows update when downloading service pack 3 installation file and then use that file to integrate to my SP0 source.

Hope I've been clear.

EDIT:

Hear the news:

I've checked the hash of the file I had downloaded some time ago and the file I downloaded today and they are the same :S

I don't know what to do, if slipstream sp2 and then sp3 or what.

Does anybody know a way to view the url of a file being downloaded by Windows Update?

I forgot to say I'm using spanish versions of the files, SP3 Spanish, XP PRO CD Spanish, etc.

Edited by leass_lp

Hi leass_lp,

It appears i've been corrected. :lol:

This the method I use, so I know it works.

I'm using a WinXP SP2 disk [Which was a SP0 disk but had SP2 slipstreamed years ago]

I use this disk because I had problems with the ISO's that were slipstreamed from SP0 to SP3.

1. Copy all the contents of the WinXP disk to C:\XPCD.

2. Slipstream SP3 using the /integrate switch

3. Create an ISO with CDImage GUI [For testing]

4. Burn to disk using Nero.

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...