AV Discussion

sorry for my interruption... but why do you guys use norton???? it is the worst antivirus in the world!!!

Edited by geek
this topic was split from http://www.msfn.org/board/Norton-Internet-Security-2007-t90653.html

sorry for my interruption... but why do you guys use norton???? it is the worst antivirus in the world!!!

And how do you come to that conclusion then Neuropass?

I have used Norton for the last 4 years, and in all that time I have never had a virus or a hacker!

I fail to understand what people have against Norton, Do not forget, over 10 yrs ago, Norton was just about the ONLY virus protection!

I remember back in 1994 when I was at school and we was all Macs, we had SAM (Symantec Antivirus for Macintosh) and it was first rate, only other competiter back then was Disinfectant for Mac, but it was not as good!

I always swear by NIS, and I use it on all 5 of my machines at home!

I have used Norton for the last 4 years, and in all that time I have never had a virus or a hacker!

um you know the way you phrased that it sounds like youre just putting faith in a placebo.

"I've worn a cross around my neck for the last 4 years, and in all that time I have never been attacked by a vampire!"

I've ran systems for years without any AV but as I deal more and more with users contaminated systems, AV became necessary.

I use Mcafee Enterprise now and its far from perfect but its easily superior to Norton.

I use and Recommend Mcafee and will occasionally install AVG on someones PC that doesnt have AV (or if their PC came bundled with Norton)

I absolutely refuse to use Norton because I cannot count the number of times Norton has deleted legitimate Anti Malware programs from my pen drive because they are "Potentially Unwanted Programs" -but the PC im attempting to disinfect has 37 IE toolbars and 54 systray 'deal' icons that are apparently 'wanted' simply because the user didn't purchase Nortons Anti spyware product.

And thats just the most annoying one in their string of false positives

Mcafee has its faults too. I have a machine in my office that it detects cutwail.dll on and it fails to clean it about every 5 minutes. im gonna have to attempt a manual removal on that one. it cleans 4-5 files but always fails on one of 'em. only difference is I can use other utilities(hijackthis, RKu, icesword, etc) to disinfect that machine without having to disable the AV first.

um you know the way you phrased that it sounds like youre just putting faith in a placebo.

At least, the placebo doesn't make you sick ;)

but its easily superior to Norton.

then again, pretty much everything is...

Norton was OK, back in the DOS era.

"I've worn a cross around my neck for the last 4 years, and in all that time I have never been attacked by a vampire!"

I've ran systems for years without any AV but as I deal more and more with users contaminated systems, AV became necessary.

I use Mcafee Enterprise now and its far from perfect but its easily superior to Norton.

I use and Recommend Mcafee and will occasionally install AVG on someones PC that doesnt have AV (or if their PC came bundled with Norton)

I absolutely refuse to use Norton because I cannot count the number of times Norton has deleted legitimate Anti Malware programs from my pen drive because they are "Potentially Unwanted Programs" -but the PC im attempting to disinfect has 37 IE toolbars and 54 systray 'deal' icons that are apparently 'wanted' simply because the user didn't purchase Nortons Anti spyware product.

And thats just the most annoying one in their string of false positives

Mcafee has its faults too. I have a machine in my office that it detects cutwail.dll on and it fails to clean it about every 5 minutes. im gonna have to attempt a manual removal on that one. it cleans 4-5 files but always fails on one of 'em. only difference is I can use other utilities(hijackthis, RKu, icesword, etc) to disinfect that machine without having to disable the AV first.

Well each to their own!

I once had Mcafee and it crashed my whole system, then I downloaded a trial of norton, and I was hooked, and I have never looked back!

Every single person has their own oppinion and I will stick by mine, and I have never had any false positives, and I do test my AV kit regularly with known & unknown viruses(inside a virtual machine, I'm not stupid!) and it always finds the viruses!

There are options for NIS ya know!

Anyway, I have had my reply, and I dont wanna hijack somebody else's thread, so I will leave it there!

@geek thank's for the support!!!

@the tech everyone knows that norton and mcafee are pieces of junk!! they just slowdown your system almost completely!!! try to use kaspersky or avira or nod32 and then you'll post your plesaure.... in the mean time, take it easy and don't waste time to make norton silent!!!!

@cluberti - doesnt that report include NAV? Why do you say its the enterprise version? And how would they be different in detection anyways. Same engine and same definitions.

Secondly I dont think youre supposed link directly to stuff from there...

Please link only to our main site www.av-comparatives.org and not to the Online Results.

We do not allow to host our test reports/documents on other sites without our permission.

If you find anything on other sites, please inform the forum/site admin to remove it.

Edited by anonymous_user

@cluberti - doesnt that report include NAV? Why do you say its the enterprise version? And how would they be different in detection anyways. Same engine and same definitions.
The version number they list is a corporate version. And while the A/V engine is the same, the implementation is different. This is partly what makes Norton so much worse than Symantec Corporate - it tries to do to much, instead of just heuristics and virus scanning, and in the process makes everything worse.

Fixed the link.