How can I disable Internet access, but allow network access?

awpd

When Installing a new setup, I would like to have access to my network, but for security reasons, block incoming and outgoing Internet access until I am ready to install my Anti-Virus program.

If this cannot be done, as a second option, how could I block all incoming Internet traffic, even if outgoing is still open? This would give me greater security until I am ready to install my Anti-Virus program.

I have looked at Windows Firewall, Internet Explorer settings, Network card settings, but so far I cannot figure out how to do this.

Windows Firewall does not have an option to block all internet traffic.

In IE I can set security settings to High, but this does not block all Internet traffic.

On my network card I tried turning off TCP/IP, but this turns off my Network traffic too. I can disable the network card, but this turns off Network traffic too.

I will really appreciate it if anyone can tell me how to do this. Thanks

Anthony

awpd,

How about simply unplugging your modem? I don't have a LAN but when I want to run with no Internet activity, I pull the power from the modem. You can also unplug the Ethernet cable between the modem and router. It is OK to hot plug/unplug Ethernet cables.

Enjoy, john.

your best bet would be to use a router between the PC you are setting up and the Internet.

While a router is not a real firewall, in most cases it will keep a PC inaccessible to the outside world while still allowing you access to the outside world.

also, im moving this to the XP unattended forum as it has little to do with nlite.

awpd,

Your router should have settings that allow placing restrictions by MAC address. So, you should be able to block Internet access for the single computer on your LAN while still having access to other computers on your LAN. See your router manual and then sign on to the router and set the access restrictions.

Enjoy, John.