Router optons

I have a wireless router which also has one RJ45 connection. I have another router a D-Link 504T (http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=gNTyP9CnptFMIC4AStFCF834mptYIe5XTNvhLPG3yV3oVo97kP98f8p8Nqtk/jwpHC7szCFG+Is=) and a switch D-link DES 1008D (http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=gNTyP9CgrdFOIC4AStFCF834mptYKO9ZTdvhLPG3yV3oV459kP98f8p8M6tj5jkkBSjuzCJH+o8LBdY=).

What i would like to do is use the wireless router but also have the dlink router connected to it. Im trying to achieve a network which is both wireless and cable. I tried to connect the wireless router to the switch directly but it didnt work - dont know if i did this wrong, used the wrong cable to connect from the wirless RJ45 connection to the switch or if its just not possible, but i would like a combination of all 3 hardware to be used if possible.

Could anyone advise? I dont have the wireless router info just yet but wondering what my options are if any?

Thanks

You just need a standard network cable (not sure what it's called - CAT5 cable or something like that) but it is possible.

What you need to do is connect one router to the other, then go into the first's router settings using your gateway and you need to tell the first router all the IP addresses that the second uses and make it available like using a switch.

Each router's configuration is different so you need to read the manual or download one for your model and look in the section where it tells you how to connect another router.

This is what ive done -

Connected the new router to the old router (Dlink) using a normal cable. Both routers IP address is 192.168.1.1. I think this would have caused some errors so have changed the new routers IP add to 192.168.100.1 and left the Dlink router add to 192.168.1.1.

Since the old router is already connected to the switch and it works i left this as is.

I connect the new router with a laptop - i can access the internet (without anything connected to the old router)

I connect the new router to the old router with standard cable. I then use a cable from the switch (which is already connected to the old router (192.168.1.1) - I cant access the internet. If i ping the old router (192.168.1.1) i get a reply if i ping the new router 192.168.100.1 i get Reply From 192.168.1.1 Destination net unreachable and cant get onto the internet.

If i go into network connections and give the NIC an IP address and set the default gateway to 192.168.1.1 - I cant access the internet. If i then set the default gateway to 192.168.100.1 i can access the internet but cant ping 192.168.1.1.

I have many options on the new and old router i.e. DHCP,DNS DMZ, IP range etc etc - do i need to configure these? or what settings am i looking for?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Bad boy Warrior

I think you might be making this way more complicated than it might need to be. So I'm going to make a suggestion, and you tell me if it will work based on what you physically see.

I assume you have a modem provided by your Internet Provider. Connect that to the DSL-504T's WAN port. Connect your wireless router to one of your DSL-504T's switch ports (there are 4).

Set the wireless router to use DHCP for getting it's address. That should automatically force your wireless router to inherit the DNS settings from the DSL-504T. If not, you may need to manually change those. Set DNS 1 to whatever the DSL-504T's IP address is.

Next is to change the range of IP's the wireless router doles out via DHCP to something other than what your DSL-504T give out. I.E if the DSL-504T gives out 192.168.1.x, change the wireless router to 192.168.2.x so you won't have any conflicts.

If you need more wired ports, connect the DES 1008D to another one of the DSL-504T's ports.

After that: communication between segments. You will need to fish around the wireless router's interface, but you should be able to turn off the firewall, and that should allow pings and general communication between wired and wireless clients. If after turning off the firewall you can't ping from one side to the other, you may need to set up a static route. Check your wired router documentation for how to do that.

Edited by rendrag