Should I buy the current latest processor and motherboard or not?

ajy0903

What do you think you all will do?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think you all will do?

• Just buy current latest processor and motherboard
    • Wait for the nehalem processor and new motherboard for it
    • Don't buy any.

Just get either the latest P45 Intel or x48 motherboard and a Core Duo2 CPU and be done with it. Worked for me. At least the latest quad cores has a higher level cache, I think Nehalem has 8MB.

If your going for AMD I suggest a 790FX or 790GX.

Just a thought.

The x58 Core i7, you think I should wait for that?

And if I get the P45 or new board and at least Core 2 Duo or COre to quad, how many case fan should I have at least?

And what is the best performance power supply and it's company?

As always, buying the technology that is newest will also be the most expensive. Since i7 will be out but may take awhile to come to reasonable pricing, I think buying a P45 and Core2Quad or Core2Duo makes much more sense right now, and will allow you to spend more money on RAM, a better Video Card, etc for the same amount of cash as that i7 box will cost next year. Also, if you're always waiting for "the next" thing, you'll be waiting forever. Buy the best of the current tech you can afford that meets your needs, and I'd suspect you'll be happy.

Personally I would NEVER buy a board with new chipset. It just isn't good idea at all. I remember I got P35-DS4 from GigaByte soon ater it came out. If I waited few months I'd get revision 2.1 with better layout and MUCH better cooling. And that's not even too much of an issue... Problems with bios, problems with something random not working with this or that/as intended... No thanks. I like to wait for technology to get polished by time :)

And honestly as things are now I see absolutely no reason to buy anything new than P35-based board.

Or wait, yes, one exception: if I wanted to use crossfire or stuff like that, because P35 "only" supports PCI-E 1.0 (I think).

Depend. DO you want bleeding edge performance?

Something a little more mainstream, and alot cheaper?

Or the bargain bin. You need an average computer that will do everyday tasks.

Well....

Kinda middle between what you said of.

Ok. So you want something that is pretty fast, and with a low(er) price.

If you want to overclock, then get the p45 chipset. Otherwise stick with the p43 chipset. The other difference is that the p45 will support crossfire.

I'd reccomend an E8400 for a cpu. Its gotten pretty cheap lately, and if you want to overclock it, it will do well. Otherwise an E7200 or an E7400 will provide about 80% of the performance at a lower price. You can get an E8400 for $170.00 and the E7200 for $120.00 and the E7400 for about $140 when it launches. Your choice of processor depends on whether you want to overclock.

Ram, comes last after the chipset, and the cpu have been chosen. 4GB is reccomended along with 64-bit Vista, or XP Pro 64-bit.

Videocard. You need one. Plenty of choices depending on what you want to do.

The HD4850 is a great performer if you don't need to overclock, and do some pretty good gaming and 3D design... etc. Otherwise the HD4670 and lower for running everyday apps, and Vista.

Add in a case, $30.00 DVD burner from Samsung (quiet, short) and a Power Supply if the case doesn't have it and presto.

Oh yeah. And forget about Nehalem. WAAAY too expensive. If the CPU price won't kill you, the chipset will, and so will the DDR3 ram. DDR3 prices are at least double DDR2 currently with marginal benefits. Nehalem + DDR3 is something that you should look into in about one year when the tech begins to soar, and prices fall.

Edited by brucevangeorge