No dialup in Network Connections

HowdyDoody

I mentioned this in another topic, but I don't think anyone noticed it.

When I installed XP and tried to create an internet connection, when I got to the dialup section, the entries where grayed out. Does anyone know what I did wrong when I created the installation disk?

Thanks,

Arnold

Suspects (in order of probability, grouped):

Ethernet (LAN)

Wireless Ethernet (WLAN) (not likely)

USB Ethernet (not likely)

Firewire Network support (not likely)

Infrared (very unlikely)

TCP/IP Version 6 (not likely?)

TAPI Application Support (not likely)

Active Directory Services (not likely)

MAC Bridge (very unlikely)

Map Network Drives/Network Places Wizard (very unlikely)

MAC Bridge (very unlikely)

Map Network Drives/Network Places Wizard (very unlikely)

Protected Storage (not likely)

Internet Explorer-Disable Password-Caching (not likely?)

Network-Hide PC in Workgroups/Domains (very unlikely)

Start Menu-My Network Places-Don't display this item * (see below)

Start Menu-Network Connections-Don't display this item (see below)

----

Not many suspects, I've marked everything related to networking, but most of them shouldn't interfere. I think your preset should work.

Now, the main thing - on the installed computer, check if the following services are set to automatic and/or have started:

Remote access auto connection manager

Remote access connection manager

Telephony

Network connections

They are essential for dialup. The following are also invoked usually:

Cryptographic services

Network location awareness

There are also many drivers, like Remote Access Auto Connection Driver and similar in Device Manager - non plug and play drivers, but if they are b0rked, you've got much bigger problems. :unsure:

I think dialup will also be unavalaible if there is no analog modem installed.

* - Sometimes you could get away with some of the services set to manual, but when you open Network Connections folder, you'll have to wait some time - depending on the computer, from several seconds to several minutes - before all items (mostly dialup) appear.

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

I mentioned this in another topic, but I don't think anyone noticed it.

When I installed XP and tried to create an internet connection, when I got to the dialup section, the entries where grayed out. Does anyone know what I did wrong when I created the installation disk?

Thanks,

Arnold

Keep Kerberos Key Distribution Center. Despite its misleading name, the service is needed for certain types of dial-up connections.

Nada!

I made the:

Remote access auto connection manager and the Remote access connection manager, automatic. Still nothing.

The modem is installed.

I don't remember seeing this Kerberos key, so I'm sure I didn't remove it. I'll go back and check.

I did an install from the original with SP2 integrated, and it worked just fine.

Thanks,

Arnold

Edited by HowdyDoody

I put everything that pertains to networking, including Kerberos, and ran it on virtualBox. It worked! Now I'm gonna start removing a few of the items at one time and reinstall it. I'll start with Kerberos. I feel like that's the bugger. I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Arnold

As always, make sure you don't make the common mistakes with nLite:

- Do not run nLite multiple times on the same source (always start with a fresh copy of the original)

- Make sure it's proper XP source version (not OEM - although they work if they are full), and the files inside are not modified before

- Make sure you don't have any malware running on the working computer, and if you are sure you don't, temporarily turn off antivirus/antispyware realtime protection while working with nLite

- Check if you have unwanted/obsolete files in keep/remove boxes

- Take your time. :)

Nothing in your posts indicates you've made them, but it doesn't hurt to check. :yes:

GL

The culprit was Kerberos! It really should indicated in the program that this must be included fir dialup.

I am starting with a clean source each time. That's why it takes so long to do a setup.

I tried VisualBox to test the installation, but it is just too slow. I wonder if VMware is any faster.

Now I'm gonna go back and see if I can reduce the size of the installation. It's 349 megs now.

Thanks to all of you guys that helped me through it.

Thanks again,

Arnold

The culprit was Kerberos! It really should indicated in the program that this must be included fir dialup.

I am starting with a clean source each time. That's why it takes so long to do a setup.

I tried VisualBox to test the installation, but it is just too slow. I wonder if VMware is any faster.

Now I'm gonna go back and see if I can reduce the size of the installation. It's 349 megs now.

Hmmm. I already pointed out the source of your problem yesterday (because I had a look at your preset, unlike you). Do you mean you wasted the whole day messing around with presets when you'd already been told where the problem was??? What was the point in your asking then? :blink:

Besides, Kerberos is not needed for all dial-up connections, only for some types. And from your info I saw that this was just your case.