DHCP Server Problem

tagwar

Hi expert people

I am back again with another issue.

In my network I have DHCP server,

this server is holding 2 scopes, One for the data LAN and the other is for the Voice LAN.

But now the issue,

Now the Data LAN start to take the IP address from the Voice scope.

The question is

Is there any way to enforce or to route this network to this scope only???

I have Cisco switches for the Data LAN and HP with POE support.

Does anybody have any ideas how this can be implemented?

Thanks for every one in advance.

Is this to say that your Data LAN scope services more than 255 clients? Either way, try setting your DHCP lease time to a lower than default setting. I have always used 3 hours. I think the default is 8 days, but not sure.

of course my client PCs not more then 255

and Voice Network also not more 255

hardely i have 25 PCs and 30 phone

but you think changing the lease time will solve the problem

i am not sure from this????

hope to get others opinions.

If you have two scopes on the same network segment, there's no real way to segment the assignment short of using reservations. However, if you have two separate network segments used by these two scopes, you could put the DHCP server on it's own segment and use DHCP forwarders to do the job.

However, if the DHCP server is on the same network segment as the machines you wish to segment, you will have to use DHCP reservations. The DHCP DORA process is UDP broadcast, and there's not really any way to keep certain machines on a certain scope in this configuration without MAC reservations.

If you have two scopes on the same network segment, there's no real way to segment the assignment short of using reservations. However, if you have two separate network segments used by these two scopes, you could put the DHCP server on it's own segment and use DHCP forwarders to do the job.

However, if the DHCP server is on the same network segment as the machines you wish to segment, you will have to use DHCP reservations. The DHCP DORA process is UDP broadcast, and there's not really any way to keep certain machines on a certain scope in this configuration without MAC reservations.

There are alternative processes, such as DHCP helpers. This type of function, I don't think, is included with Windows, but network management software (such as Altiris) can manage it. Say computers with "insert-variable-here" will receive IPs in this scope, and computers with "other-variable" will receive IPs from another scope. The variables could be DMI information (from the BIOS), computer name (trimmed) or any other bit of information that the computer can transmit. Or in an extreme case, use one scope for preliminary info and when the server determines what type of interface it is, will reassign an IP from one of the two other scopes.

But perhaps a real question is, if both of these types of interfaces are on the same physical network, what is the true purpose of assigning them to different IP ranges?

can you please explain more in this point " use DHCP forwarders to do the job "

both Scopes are in ther same physical network Data from the range of 192.168.1.0 and the voice network from the range og 10.100.0.0

There are alternative processes, such as DHCP helpers. This type of function, I don't think, is included with Windows, but network management software (such as Altiris) can manage it. Say computers with "insert-variable-here" will receive IPs in this scope, and computers with "other-variable" will receive IPs from another scope. The variables could be DMI information (from the BIOS), computer name (trimmed) or any other bit of information that the computer can transmit. Or in an extreme case, use one scope for preliminary info and when the server determines what type of interface it is, will reassign an IP from one of the two other scopes.

But perhaps a real question is, if both of these types of interfaces are on the same physical network, what is the true purpose of assigning them to different IP ranges?

unlickly i don't have any managment software yet.

i need something with in the windows envirment to do this if it's possible.

the and the reason of diffrent IP range is as i said before

one range for voicve and the other for data network.

I understand about your two different types of devices on the network, but I am wondering what the reason for the two scopes is.

i think i already answer this questions 2 time before

1 scope for the DATA and the other for Voice

i really need someone expert support or advice.

thanks

Tripredacus is right, why do you have 2 scopes on a single segment? is there a reason you need to know the different IP's for the phones vs machines? if you truly wanted to segment data and voice, Vlans would be an option through your cisco swtiches using a DHCP relay agent to route your dhcp requests back to the correct Vlans.

Tripredacus is right, why do you have 2 scopes on a single segment? is there a reason you need to know the different IP's for the phones vs machines? if you truly wanted to segment data and voice, Vlans would be an option through your cisco swtiches using a DHCP relay agent to route your dhcp requests back to the correct Vlans.

but the cisco switches is not supporting the voice lan

whatever phoens is connected to this switches it dosn't get any signal.

that why connect the voice to HP switches supporting POE systems.

Hi there it occurs to me that you could use the MAC addresses to kep out as many of the computers as possible and include as many as you want but also you could use your router to filter the two kinds of traffic to different servers

so how i can do this?

but the cisco switches is not supporting the voice lan

whatever phoens is connected to this switches it dosn't get any signal.

that why connect the voice to HP switches supporting POE systems.

if it is the case that all your phone devices are hooked to your HP switch, is this device capable of managing and creating Vlans? it not can it handle a DHCP relay agent? both options would allow you to segment all items on that switch to a single vlan or in the case of the relay agent a second sbunet range.