Random (& many) BSODs

MtK

I'm trying to do the complete dump but:

To bugcheck the system, hold down the right-hand CTRL key and press SCROLL LOCK twice.

doesn't do anything...

(i've set "Complete memory dump" in the system configuration)

The key combination is for producing a manual dump, usually for when the system is hung, you don't need to do that.

When the bugcheck occurs the memory dump will be produced - you just need to wait (or provoke the bugcheck) and then get C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP zipped & uploaded.

The key combination is for producing a manual dump, usually for when the system is hung, you don't need to do that.

When the bugcheck occurs the memory dump will be produced - you just need to wait (or provoke the bugcheck) and then get C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP zipped & uploaded.

I thought so, but ironically the system's still running :)

Since it seems no one saw this, I'll repost. Note that the 0x124 STOP error means the following:

Bug Check 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

The WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000124. This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

Thus, your 0x124 and parameters mean the following:

0x00000000 - This means the error came from the processor, and not an NMI or PCI-E error

0x8537A3B0 - The WHEA error record

0xB2000000 - The high 32bits of the MCA bank that reported the error

0x00010014 - The low 32 bits of the MCA bank that reported the error

Obviously the last three parameters are not useful without a memory dump, but note that *all* WHEA errors are "Machine Check Exception" bugchecks, which means your hardware detected an error that it couldn't correct, so it sent an INT18 to Windows (and Windows then goes through it's routine to bugcheck with either a 0x124 on Vista or 0x9C error on Windows 2000, 2003, and XP).

I'm expiriencing a lot of BSODs lately, with many other crashed that don't even get to a BSOD but to a system halt (mostly in a black screen).

As always, start by running hardware and memory diagnostics - according to the hardware and Windows (not to mention your statement here), you do have a malfunctioning piece of hardware in that system, but without a dump we'll not be able to say what.

in the meantime, can some1 please try & guess why has the Hibernate option disappeared from the ShutDown List?

I believe you can go into the power options control panel applet and assign hibernate back to the shutdown menu, although unless you actually need hibernate over sleep, sleep is a more preferable (and quicker to resume) option.

in the meantime, can some1 please try & guess why has the Hibernate option disappeared from the ShutDown List?

I believe you can go into the power options control panel applet and assign hibernate back to the shutdown menu, although unless you actually need hibernate over sleep, sleep is a more preferable (and quicker to resume) option.

I agree, it's just that my battery life is too short for a long sleep :)

(yeah yeah, I need a new one)

Google also says...

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=36079

Folks -

Do yourself a favor and go to the MS website. Enter "vista stop 0x00000124" into the search window. You really should do this ANYTIME you get a stop error from WINDOWS, as MS designs the OS.

Then check the list - looonnng list - of posters. All boiling down to the same thing - a Vista/nVidia/sound issue.

I would see if looking up that error on MS's website would provide a fix.

I think the fact I have no nVidia component on my computer is the main reason for not looking in nVidia's website/forum.

beside that, as you can see up there in this longing thread, I already installed the Hot Swapping hotfix...

Did you see the edit I made to my first reply, and did you do the diagnostics testing cluberti recommended twice?

http://www.msfn.org/board/Random-and-many-...st&p=795567

Also, could it be overheating? Does the problem tend to occur after the system has been on a while?

Check the grilles are not blocked or clogged up with dust, I've had someone with bizarres issues including poor performance when the fan grille was blocked and the CPU stepped down its speed due to overheating.

http://www.msfn.org/board/Random-and-many-...st&p=795666

http://www.msfn.org/board/Random-and-many-...st&p=795793

As always, start by running hardware and memory diagnostics - according to the hardware and Windows (not to mention your statement here), you do have a malfunctioning piece of hardware in that system, but without a dump we'll not be able to say what.

I'll start downloading the dump when I get home and get back to you.

Edit:

Also, could it be overheating? Does the problem tend to occur after the system has been on a while?

Check the grilles are not blocked or clogged up with dust, I've had someone with bizarres issues including poor performance when the fan grille was blocked and the CPU stepped down its speed due to overheating.

could be.

one of the times the CPUs reached 80c, but it didn't crash (i closed a lot of services & it cooled off)

the crashed occures at random time, regardless of the time the system is on.

I tried, it just crashed in the middle (different points).

it also ended successfully a few times...