cannot copy the file: hosts

HowdyDoody

I keep getting this error when I try to install windows.

I have rebuilt the ISO about 6 times. I have created the installation CD about 10 times. I had to use new CDs everytime because the burner does not seem to overwrite the original CD. I have uploaded my INI file.

Of course, this occurs when I try to install WindowsXP SP2.

Please help,

Thank you

Last_Session.ini

Edited by HowdyDoody

HowdyDoody,

Are you nLiteing a source that has already been nLited? You should always start with fresh source. I copied my CD contents to a folder and make a copy before I start nLite. Curious - why are you not adding SP3? You should consider a virtual system (VirtualPC, VirtualBox, etc) to test on and prevent making all those coasters. Are you using re-writable CDs? If so, are you erasing them before you re-write them? What OS are you running nLite under?

Enjoy, John

I'm running WindowsXP Pro Corporate edition.

I tried upgrading to SP3, but I had major problems with it. I googled, and found that many people were having the same problems, so I opted to stay with SP2.

I do reformat the CDs. It's really a bummer. When I use another program to burn the ISO, it does reformat.

I don't know how to use VirtualPC, and I'm afraid of messing up my current installation of Windows.

I think you have hit on the problem. I am not using a fresh source. I'll give it a try and get back to you.

Thanks,

Arnold

HowdyDoody,

Have you tried using the CD writer built into nLite (Create Bootable ISO step)? It has an erase function also. I have used it without a problem. You don't need to create an ISO file. I think you should not be afraid of using a virtual system. I use VMware Server (only support XP x64 at the time) and have had no problem. Look at these forums concerning VirtualPC and VirtualBox. What kind of SP3 problems are you afraid of having? I installed it on an old machine of mine running XP Pro (32 bit) with no problems. My son had a problem concerning AMD CPU, but there is a MS fix for that. Again many people in these forums have installed SP3. Perhaps someone can help. In the long run you will need it for security reasons.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. John.

I have used the nLite format, but when it got through, the disk still had (on the left side of the screen) showing the $OEM$ and the I386. It didn't show anything on the CD, but I just didn't trust it.

I don't remember all of the problems. I installed SP3 when it was released. I do remember my computer really slowing down and a lot of the programs didn't work.

I have Zone Alarm Security Suite taking real good care of me.

You mean I don't have to create the ISO? Just go straight to CD?

I have gone from bad to worse. Now when it says "starting Windows" I get the blue screen saying: "a problem has been detected". I'm sure you've seen that.

I'll try again.

Thanks again,

Arnold

HowdyDoody,

I have not used VirtualPC, so I don't know exactly what is next, but you should be able to create a Virtual Machine. Read the manual and play with it or maybe someone with experience will offer to help. I also don't know what Primary Slave is. On the Create Bootable ISO in the upper left area is a Mode pull down. It has Direct Burn option. If you are using VirtualPC you should be able to create an ISO file and boot (install) directly from that. To learn a little about VirtualPC, I suggest that you create an ISO from your fresh source containing only the OS and maybe SP3. Then install this on your Virtual Machine defined in VirtualPC. Allocate at least 512 MB memory and 4 GB of HDD.

I have gone from bad to worse. Now when it says "starting Windows" I get the blue screen saying: "a problem has been detected". I'm sure you've seen that.
I have not had any failures during installs of the ISOs I have built, so I don't what what error you are talking about.

Enjoy, John