RegTweaks 0.4.2

Hi!!! i'm very newbie at this stuff, but can anyone telll me how to undo a regtweak, but without any kind of backup?! Or if the only way is by back up can you tell me of any light and easy way (would be perfect if almost automaticaly... :rolleyes: )

Hi!!! i'm very newbie at this stuff, but can anyone telll me how to undo a regtweak, but without any kind of backup?! Or if the only way is by back up can you tell me of any light and easy way (would be perfect if almost automaticaly... :rolleyes: )

You should've read Yzöwl's post first, it's the 4th post above yours.

You simply cannot undo a regtweak, unless you have some kind of backup (previously exported key, restore point).

If you know the exact tweak you've set you can change it back, but you have to know where it is and what it was set to.

You can also export the key from another computer and apply it.

Use a virtual machine and apply your tweaks in there if you're not sure.

Apply them one by one and backup the key they're in before applying them.

Regtweaks and the registry is not that easy if you haven't worked with it and know only a little.

In many places (magazines, websites) you can read warnings about editing the registry, in some cases they have a valid point in that.

Some of us have been configuring/tweaking and working with the registry for many years...

Edited by DL.

You should've read Yzöwl's post first, it's the 4th post above yours.

You simply cannot undo a regtweak, unless you have some kind of backup (previously exported key, restore point).

If you know the exact tweak you've set you can change it back, but you have to know where it is and what it was set to.

You can also export the key from another computer and apply it.

Use a virtual machine and apply your tweaks in there if you're not sure.

Apply them one by one and backup the key they're in before applying them.

Regtweaks and the registry is not that easy if you haven't worked with it and know only a little.

In many places (magazines, websites) you can read warnings about editing the registry, in some cases they have a valid point in that.

Some of us have been configuring/tweaking and working with the registry for many years...

Thank you very much! Simple and very informative!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

thx for all those RegistryTweaks.

i sure aint a Codemonkey but i somehow managed to hack together a small ".cmd" that backups the state of the keys, that will get changed by a given ".reg"-file.

Basically just making it possible to undo things changed by the ".reg"-file without having to backup the WHOLE registry.

everyone can of course change and use it anyway they want.

Link to .cmd code

Edited by Yzöwl
identical code removed due to double post!

Great tweaks :thumbup , but a couple of questions:

; Makes a right click option for unknown files (Open with notepad)

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell]

@="\"notepad.exe %1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open]

@="Open &With Notepad"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open\command]

@="notepad.exe %1"

Doesn't this add the "open" command to all files, not just unknown files? I thought that the proper code (or script or whatever you call it) for that would be:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\unknown\shell]

@="\"notepad.exe %1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\unknown\shell\open]

@="Open &With Notepad"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\unknown\shell\open\command]

@="notepad.exe %1"

And I can't think of any reason why anyone would want to open .DLL's, for example, with notepad.

Second, can/should a lot of CURRENT_USER keys be changed to LOCAL_MACHINE or CLASSES_ROOT keys to make the tweaks system-wide? For example:

; = Edit .nfo files with notepad

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.nfo]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.nfo\OpenWithList]

"a"="NOTEPAD.EXE"

"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.nfo\OpenWithProgids]

"nfo_auto_file"=hex(0):

Wouldn't this allow just the current user to open .nfo files with notepad? Whereas the following (or something like it, if I haven't gotten it 100% correct):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.nfo\shell\Edit]

@="Edit"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.nfo\shell\Edit\command]

@="notepad.exe %1"

would allow it for all users? (Although there are several options, such as "Show protected operating system files" and "Show Hidden Files and Folders " that I don't want all users to have)

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

there is still some text in spanish in the _en version:

Otimizar Disco Rםgido quando inativo

also I think most people would want FULL url so the code should be:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]

"Show_FullURL"=dword:00000000

Edited by wewe70

yes you are correct, someone should release version 0.5 with this fix

thanks, currently I do all current user tweaks in cmdlines and local machine in runonceex is this good enough or should current user be reimported 2nd time after 1st boot?

also the following tweak is wrong I think.

; Show Hidden Files and Folders

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"Hidden"=dword:00000000

should be

; Show Hidden Files and Folders

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"Hidden"=dword:00000001

many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

i think there's an error in the local networking registry file

when it sets the xp dns cache, it says

"MaxCacheTtl "=dword:00003840

"MaxNegativeCacheTtl "=dword:00000000

i dont think the actual reg entries have the space at the end

Edited by eublade

• 4 months later...

My cousin's been working on a collection of reg patches intended for Windows XP x64 Edition (64 bit, 2003 kernel)

Some are very different from the ones available here. For that reason I put the file here (it includes personal preferences, so better take a look before applying)!

RegistryPatches XP64

(updated 2009 June 9, removed duplicate entries and cleaned up BS and non-functional entries)

I noticed that the DNSCache entries for most other Windows versions are utter bullocks for Win XP x64 / Server 2003 x64, so here are the best I got in some performance and duration tests on my DSL (1200 kbit/s upstream/21000 kbit/s downstream) and my ISP's DNS-servers etc. :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters]
"NetFailureCacheTime"=dword:00000001
"NegativeSOACacheTime"=dword:0000003c
"NegativeCacheTime"=dword:0000005a
"AdapterTimeoutCacheTime"=dword:000000c8
"DefaultRegistrationRefreshInterval"=dword:0000a8c0
"MaxCacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000ea60

Edited by meowing