and this?

; Windows Audio Service
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AudioSrv]
"Start"=dword:00000002

and this?

; Windows Time Service

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time]
"Start"=dword:00000004

Does this service disable all removeable storage support like USB flash drives?

; Removable Storage Service
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtmsSvc]
"Start"=dword:00000004

Edited by Sgt_Strider

@Sgt_Strider:

Indexing: Speeds up searching by indexing files, see this link.

Windows Audio: Provides and controls all audio support for Windows, see this one.

Windows Time: Syncronizes the system time with a timeserver.

Removable Storage: No it doesn't, may however affect tape drives or others.

Read some more on the subject of services for example here, or search.

No offence, but you really need to start searching for the info before asking in the forums.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted you to know that about half way threw the other software reg file you switch from english to portugese or spanish. I'm sure i can translate it back so no big problem for me however i thought you'd might like to know.

Just an observation:

In the readme, it says that Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extension is one of the vital services that should be set to automatic, or at worst, manual. In my experience, that service is not only not vital, it's completely useless and can be safely disabled.

I've left it disabled on (at least) 500 systems over the years that ranged from domain/web/file/print servers to all types of workstations. Never had anything even try to access it, much less any problems from disabling it. Since it doesn't seem to frivolously start, leaving it on manual is probably safer than disabling it, but I'm somewhat of a control freak, so I just really like seeing all that MS crap with "Disabled" next to it and know, at least on some level, *I* still control my box, not Microsoft. :)

-KZ

Just an observation:

In the readme, it says that Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extension is one of the vital services that should be set to automatic, or at worst, manual. In my experience, that service is not only not vital, it's completely useless and can be safely disabled.

I've left it disabled on (at least) 500 systems over the years that ranged from domain/web/file/print servers to all types of workstations. Never had anything even try to access it, much less any problems from disabling it. Since it doesn't seem to frivolously start, leaving it on manual is probably safer than disabling it, but I'm somewhat of a control freak, so I just really like seeing all that MS crap with "Disabled" next to it and know, at least on some level, *I* still control my box, not Microsoft. :)

-KZ

I've seen it once started on Win2000 when a driver was missing. What does it REALLY do, I don't know.

GL

Great collection! :lol:

I'm looking inside the files to use the reg tweaks I want

Are you sure about deleting Special Accounts? I was told they are needed

(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts)

HelpAssistant--------->Remote Assistance

IUSR_----------------->IIS

IWAM_----------------->IIS

NetShowServices----->Windows Media server

SQLAgentCmdExec--->SQL Server?

TsInternetUser-------->Terminal Services

VUSR_----------------->Visual Studio Analyzer

Edited by phaolo

@phaolo: If you use any of those applications there might be some reason to keep them.

If you want to show or hide a user account on the XP-login screen (administrator for example, see this link) you may need to set a value in the subkey [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogin

\SpecialAccounts\UserList].

You can do that after deleting the key you mentioned.

Edited by DL.