CDSwitch

Hi !

Don´t know if this is the right place to post a problem with the cdswitch tool in the Tools archive of WPI. I have used this tool for months now without any problems but today I found out that it seems to terminate in an "abnormal way" :rolleyes: if it is called like this

start "" /wait "%WPIfolderDVD%\Tools\CDSwitch\cdswitch.exe" AIW_APPS %CDROM% /d /s

and then waits for a prolonged period of time until someone switches the DVDs.

It works ok if the switch to the new DVD happens soon after the program was started but if the PC is left alone to install for a few hours and one then comes back to it, cdswitch has died. Just tested it again, it seems to happen after about 2 hours.

Any idea what causes this or how to prevent it ?

Bye,

Alex

PS: This is on Vista x64

Edited by midiboy

Hi Kel,

thanks, I wrote a message to Nanaki. As for the long time: Well, I agree but still, the program should not time out or anything .. it can happen that an installation DVD is left over night and continued the next day.

Bye,

Alex

To be honest, I never tested this situation (or even thought about it).

I dusted off some old digital folder and took the (non-WPI) 0.8.4-version of CDswitch (there are probably newer and better versions I made, but I don't feel like puzzling them together). I'm going to give you the only solution I can think of: a fresh compilation.

Since I see you're using x64, here's a x64-version: click.

And if it doesn't work (I have no idea, still using the same 4-year old pc, can't even test it), here's a normal version: click.

Now, I had to change a couple of lines to make it build, and I can't even test the basic functionality (my disc drive doesn't work, maybe due to the excessive testing of this tool a couple of years back :)) so no money back.

Next to that, does the "/s"-parameter even work? I never tested it during a windows-installation and certainly not on Vista (it refers to a windows-tada-sound if I remember correctly).

cheers,

Edited by Nanaki

Hi Nanaki,

thanks for your quick reply. I have downloaded the 0.8.4 version (32bit) and will test it. Yes, the /s switch is for "sound making" :whistle:, actually I forgot about it and thinking about it I never heard any sound so I removed the switch again :-)

The version in the WPI Tools archive is 0.8.5 by the way. Any idea what was added to cdswitch in that version ? It is a bit larger too :-)

I will let you know if the problem still appears with 0.8.4

PS: I took the 32bit version even though I am on x64 currently but I need this to also work on a 32bit Windows version and the 64bit code probably won´t have any advantages on the 64bit system performancewise :sneaky:

Bye,

Alex

Hi Nanaki,

sorry, but the 0.8.4 version still does the same thing. I left the installation running over night. When I returned next morning, the program had terminated.

I have removed the /s switch by the way.

I will now try this with a 32bit OS but I don´t think thats the problem..

Bye,

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Crap, I forgot about this.

Try this one, if you still need it.

I have no flying idea what the problem is, but this version restarts itself every half hour.

The only thing close to a debug mode is the "/k"-parameter. It makes a C:\cdswitch.txt logfile, but the only thing you (or I, if it keeps happening) will learn from it is how long it stays alive.

Edited by Nanaki

Hi Nanaki,

thanks for your help but unfortunately, this does not help. Now, with this new version, the script that started cdswitch will proceed to the next step after 30 min. when you restart or try to restart CDSwitch. So after 30 minutes WPI will start (this is the next step) but since the wrong DVD is still inserted, it won´t work correctly).

I may be wrong but restarting CDswitch does not seem to be the solution for this problem or something else goes wrong. Any other ideas ?

Bye,

Alex