re: shutdown problems or re-install

snorelaxx

Hi group, I recently posted about my problem of Win XP not turning off my system. I didn't get much response so I might try another tact. What would the correct procedure be to re-install XP ontop of the existing XP setup. Are there any measures I can take to ensure that the power management "APM" tab shows up this time ? This would need to be ticked off to get Win XP to shut it's self off and is not available on my setup( or I can't find it !)

I 'm using what is commonly reffered to as Devil's Own Corp. iso.

This was a clean install. I just used a different hard drive. I kept my old drive with w98 se loaded. With the win98 drive plugged in the machine shut's itself off. With the newer XP hard drive installed I just get the ready to shut windows screen.

From past experience though, I 've fixed some win 98 problems by re-installing on top of the original win98 install. My question was , is there a special wat to do this with XP, and how to ensure that my shutdown problem would be fixed. Thanks.

You can reinstall 100 times if you want the same as you did in Win98. I am one of those stubborn and lazy people who is too lazy to back up all 17 gigs of my stuff to do a clean install instead of an upgrade.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Since you didn't list your PC specs, the only thing that I can think of would be BIOS.

In Device Manager under Computer does it state "Standard PC" or "ACPI ......"?

WindowsXP requires an ACPI BIOS.

I would check your mainboard manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS.

If you have the latest BIOS, and it still occurs then your BIOS has been blocked for installing in ACPI mode. Several BIOS’s claim to be ACPI compatible but do not meet the specifications for ACPI.

Thanks for the reply. The system is an ABit BP6 dual celeron 366@595.

Pretty standard stuff really. I had the system running with Win98se and then just unplugged the hard drive plugged in a spare drive and installed XP. When I revert back to the originial Win98se drive , the system powers down by itself. When I plug in the XP drive, it goes to the "system is ready to shutdown now" screen and just sits there. I don't believe it's a bios issue due to the fact that under 98se it works proberly.

[b:fcb6de643e]snorelaxx[/b:fcb6de643e] - You have to remember that 98 and XP are 2 different worlds. Try not to compare because that will get you no where but to a dead end. I would try to check up on what [b:fcb6de643e] Fangzter [/b:fcb6de643e] said, if everything is ok then insert the XP disk. Theres an option to fix exsisting XP System. Try that and see if it does anything. Also check your power options in XP.

-Chris

I've been doing some reading at Microsoft , there was a thread about APM/legacy nodes and ACPI and Symetrical Processing. It was a little too technical for me but since my motherboard is a dual cpu setup, it seems that this option might not work. Does anyone else have a dual cpu setup running XP.