Default User Registry Permissions

Waylorne

I'm trying to configure the default user registry permissions.

I have found a wealth of info here on how to do this using security templates and automated install disk.

I'm trying to change the settings for a windows install thats already up and running.

I basically want all newly created users to automatically get the registry permissions that make the start menu automatically sort alphabetically.

The problem seems to be that this is an HKCU setting. Like I tried to take the default users ntuser.dat file and load it in regedit, alter permissions, unload.

but new users don't get those permissions.

any ideas?

just recreate the default users profile:

SELF QUOTE!:

you need to create a 'Default User' profile to prevent this behavior.

1. logon as either a domain account with local admin rights or a local admin account

2. create a new local user:

My Computer -> Right Click -> Manage -> System Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> Action -> New User.

Do not add the user to the administrators group. This may cause permissions issues if the profile is ever used by a lower privileged user. in my experience, you can promote to power user but i would only do that if all users of the PC will be at least Power User level

3. logout and login locally as the new user (not switch user)

4. Change your Theme, desktop icons, Wallpaper (dont use files from a restricted location ie: My documents. I store mine in c:\windows\Web\Wallpaper) Start menu type/taskbar preferences, IE Preferences, Firefox Profile(including addons)

5. Logout and login as an admin (not switch user)

6. My Computer -> Right Click -> Properties -> Advanced -> User Profiles -> Settings

find MACHINENAME\UserYouCreated click it and select "Copy To..." type in "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User"(will not show up in Browse...) and hit OK answer yes to the dialog. No progress bar is displayed.

7. Optional - Delete the local profile of any account you want to use this on. You will not be able to delete a profile if you are logged on with it. (promote the user you created to admin and log on as him to delete your profile if necessary

8. logout and logon as a user without a local profile on the system. You may notice a pause at "Loading your personal settings...". this is normal. XP is copying the contents of the Default User profile to your new profile.

9. if all your settings stick, then you can delete the local user you created. all new users that logon to that PC will use the default user profile you created instead of the default 'Bliss' one.

http://www.msfn.org/board/Windows-Theme-Ch...nt-t114606.html

I can think of:

1. SubInACL.exe (Microsoft)

2. SetACL.exe (Sourceforge)

3. Any form of scripting that removes:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu

So what was the solution you actually used?

I may be mistaken here but I'm sure that New Users, (those who have never logged in), will by default have their All Programs Menu ordered alphabetically.

Adding programs after that will of course affect the order and users would, (as they should be), be allowed to order it as they see fit. The whole idea of these menus is to make the users life more comfortable, the ability to order it to suit themselves should be entirely their choice and not forced on them by an Administrator.

I may be mistaken here but I'm sure that New Users, (those who have never logged in), will by default have their All Programs Menu ordered alphabetically.

Adding programs after that will of course affect the order and users would, (as they should be), be allowed to order it as they see fit. The whole idea of these menus is to make the users life more comfortable, the ability to order it to suit themselves should be entirely their choice and not forced on them by an Administrator.

<shakes head>

I mean this in the nicest way possible. But your quite wrong.

Whether or not to force changes like this will vary from environment to environment. I have a lot of older users who aren't very tech savvy. They have a hard time finding programs and an even harder time remembering that they can right click and choose sort alphabetically. The menu being sorted alphabetically by default would save a large majority of my users a lot of headaches and reduce the number of silly helpdesk tickets I get daily by a significant number.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to even reply here with your opinion. I asked for help doing a task. Not for anyone's opinion of whether I should be doing the task in the first place. The decision of whether or not to perform the task, I have already made and its set in stone at this point.

I don't tell you how you should run your network, I would appreciate it if you don't tell me how to run mine. One would think a supermod would know this type of courtesy.

Again I mean no dis-respect, as this is the most polite way I can word this.

Have a nice day.

Edited by Waylorne

I can think of:

1. SubInACL.exe (Microsoft)

2. SetACL.exe (Sourceforge)

3. Any form of scripting that removes:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu

So what was the solution you actually used?

Thank you for actually trying to help me Schloss.

Your third idea is along the right track of what I ended up doing.