Available color printers for Windows 98 SE

cannie

I keep using a hp deskjet 940c since 2003. Now I'm having problems with it, and AFAIK it is difficult to find a new HP printer with drivers for Windows 98.

What are the available printers to substitute it?

Thanks.

Edited by cannie

I use an Epson Stylus C83. It has the required drivers and has a Centronics connector to allow connection trough the classic the parallel to Centronics printer cable. And prints beautifully, although a cartridge resetter is in order for you to be able to use up all the ink in the cartridges. But a resetter is cheap and easy to find. HTH.

I am using a HP Color LaserJet 2605dn. In January 2008 I stocked up on Win98 compatible hardware & I bought 2 of them at Staples in the US (one as a spare). The 2605dn is now discontinued.

There are 2 submodels of the 2605dn: one which is marked as Win98-compatible on the box, the other model is marked Vista-compatible, they have different firmware, the boxes are identical except for the text under "system requirements". In January I went to at least 10 Staples/Office Depot stores looking for this printer with the the older firmware.

Hewlett Packard has removed ALL their Win98 drivers from their website [i checked in Feb.2008], it's a shame. If you can still find an HP 2605 make sure it has the Win98-compatible firmware & comes with the driver CD with the Win98_ME driver. I doubt that it is possible to downgrade from the Vista-firmware 20071108 (8 Nov 2007) to the Win98-compatible firmware. Any firmware date code prior to 20071108 should work fine with Win98 http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...Item=ly-40741-3

I am quite satisfied with the 2605dn, except for the expensive color toner. The built-in duplex is extremely useful. I miss the "save toner" option which HP had in earlier B&W laser printers. My feeling is that when a page counter of the firmware hits a certain page number, you have to replace the cartridge, even if it still has a lot of toner in it. Also I am not aware of any no-name cartridges for the 2605. Printing in color is a pipeline from your wallet into HP's.

The built-in print-server of the HP2605dn (dn stands for duplex+networking) does not work with Win98. But the HP2605dn can serve as a network printer: I have it connected to the USB 1 (!) port of an old laptop dedicated to eMule, which is part of a peer network & is up 24 hours. So instead of connecting the HP2605dn to the router, it is connected to a computer in the peer network.

Overall: very good quality color laser prints under Win98, but expensive to use (actually I was so satisfied that I bought 2).

Edited by Multibooter

The 2605dn is now discontinued... There are 2 submodels of the 2605dn: one which is marked as Win98-compatible on the box, the other model is marked Vista-compatible, they have different firmware, the boxes are identical except for the text under "system requirements".
Sometimes (as right now) still available at ebay:

Win98 model http://cgi.ebay.com/Hewlett-Packard-LaserJ...1QQcmdZViewItem

Vista model: http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Color-LaserJet-2605...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hello, dencorso and Multibooter! Your help has a great value for me.

If you try to buy a printer for Windows 98 the salesman looks at you as if you were just arrived from Mars planet.

I use dual boot XP/Win98, but I feel more secure and at ease using the "oldie", which is also very helpful to backup/restore XP having a .rar copy of it on a CD.

Most users buy what is offered to them "as is". IT advances mean no doubt a big effort, but I love to be the real and effective owner of my computer.

As I'm sure you know, only a minority of users knows the true value of Windows 98 SE in this point.

Thank you very much! :hello:

Edited by cannie

The Win98 version of the HP2605dn sold for $227, the Vista version for $130. Either just a fluke, or Win98 is becoming a luxury.

Actually this is a big minus for Win98: The hardware for Win98 is hard to find, and if you find it, it's much more expensive than WinXP or Vista hardware.

Hi Multibooter!

Just at the moment when I already had decided to discard and throw away my HP, being the cause of all problems an overflow of old waste ink which caused short-circuits, I thought I could do a last try.

After spraying with a circuit cleaner spray all ink-covered parts, I brushed deeply, put them under the water fawcet and left water run for half an hour, dried with a hair dryer, swept with the vacuum cleaner and left the printer stay for two days at open air.

At the third day I connected it and...incredible! It works perfect!

Nevertheless I'll keep on searching for a spare printer.

I agree with you Windows 98 is becoming a luxury.

I dare say it is already a privilege because it means a lot of freedom for its owner and only a few people have the possibility of using it.

It seems to me excellent that anybody who has XP or Vista enjoys it, and that anybody who enjoys them have both, but even after installing double boot I'll keep using Windows 98 SE for as long as I can.

Thank you for your understanding and your help.

Well, I'll feel happy if my "waterflow" experience is useful for others!

Edited by cannie

I may get a few boos, but the BEST printer you could buy for Windows 9x would be the Brother MFC-845CW printer. They still fully support Windows 98se and Me and their printers are very nicely designed with the small foot print design in mind. The MFC-845W also has a memory card read and build in wireless capabilities which is friendly for those 9x laptops in the house.

Just wanted to put my two cents in and if anybody is looking for a premium 9x printer the Brothers would be your best choice. :whistle:

BEST printer you could buy for Windows 9x would be the Brother MFC-845CW printer. They still fully support Windows 98se and Me
A company which still supports Win98 cares for their customers and is not out for a fast buck with the largest market segment, like HP, rippe-tee-rip. The compatibility with Win98 is a seal of quality for a new product, even if one does not use Win98.

The Brother MFC 845CW is a multi-function inkjet, the HP2605dn is a duplex laser printer. I am prejudiced against inkjets, inkjets may be problematic with occasional printing. In 5 years I will most likely be using Win98 only occasionally with a few printouts in between, but I will still need the capability to print under Win98. I have a 13-year-old HP-5L laser printer in my vacation home, it has always worked right-away without any fiddling around when I turn it on, during my annual holidays there.

Edited by Multibooter