OEM to VLK?

theorist80

Is it possible to change from pre-installed WinXP Pro license on a Dell to our volume license license?

Hey everyone. I have a dumb question that I kind of already know the answer to but I am hoping maybe there is some backdoor way to do it or something. My technician brought a Dell PC to my attention that he built and created Ghost images for and such. He failed to inform me that he never wiped the OS off the machine and install our version of XP Pro with our volume license. So my question is it possible to leave the OS installed on the machine and simply change the key from the one that came with the Dell to our volume license?

Any help is appreciated...thanks!

If you have a Vista Business upgrade license available you can use that image. Assuming the system currently has XP Pro. If it has XP Home you would need to purchase a full license, OEM or Retail of Vista Business and add Software Assurance to get it into the volume license program.

If you have a Vista Business upgrade license available you can use that image. Assuming the system currently has XP Pro. If it has XP Home you would need to purchase a full license, OEM or Retail of Vista Business and add Software Assurance to get it into the volume license program.

Uhm, that was not even related to what was originally asked. :blink:

OP:

This is what I found during a quick search. I hope it helps you. http://www.petri.co.il/change_the_serial_in_windows_xp.htm

Well, I might as well go ahead and give the answer that you are half-expecting, but everyone has so far avoided telling you --- NO!

The key that Dell used to install Windows and the key on the sticker are compatible with each other and not with your VLK.

It's not that simple to fix: the relevant .DLLs concerned with Product IDs and keys are different for OEM and VLK. From memory (a couple of years ago) the most likely scenario is that Windows will fail to start on the next reboot (BSoD) and/or Microsoft will reject Windows as non-genuine because of the key mismatch.

I would not be upset if proved wrong, but I suspect that by the time you have replaced the relevant DLLs and corrected the relevant parts of the registry, you might as well have spent the same amount of time re-imaging with the proper version of the OS to start with.

Errm??? :wacko:

Could you please clarify? I don't quite understand what you're asking. Do you mean you have you two seperate installs of the OS on the machine, creating a dual boot situation? If so, I'd recommend re-imaging it.

If this isn't what you're talking about.... I can tell you all the workstations we get here come with Vista Business Pro installed, and I apply the universal image I've created which utilizes XP Pro with our VLK.

Uhm, that was not even related to what was originally asked. :blink:

If you read it again, maybe you'll find out it was.

To the OP, is your question about still being able to use the image (he spent time doing) on other computers or just to get that very computer use your VLK ?

The answer is YES, and I have done it on about 250 pc's. You will need the Windows Product Key Update Tool as hnmurugan stated, your VLK license, a connection to the internet (or a telephone + a lot of patience if you`re not connected to the internet) and you`re set.

Just to explain further, windows product key update tool will replace or modify dpcdll.dll & pidgen.dll which is required to generate the installaion ID. It is safe and reliable way. However please do find a way to remove unnecesary junks bundled with OEM preinstallion. There are tools available to remove it.

Regards

Hari