Application Version Tracker

Sjl1986

Hey everyone. I'm looking for something and I'd like to know if anyone knows where to find it our how to write a program that will do it.

In my unattended disc, I chose for the batch file to search for a file (unattend.x) and upon finding it rename the drive it's located on to "X:". Then all the unattended applications install from the X drive. They are named generically with no version titles so I don't have to change the code when I update to the latest installation file. (This works well because I don't have to burn a new cd unless I update something in the OS. I only update my flash drive).

I use iMacros where I created a large macro to download each of the latest programs I use in my installs and replace the existing one on the X drive using the same filename. This seems to work ok, but sometimes it's very slow and it's still not 100% problem free.

What I want is a program or something that goes out to the internet and finds the latest version of whatever program it is you want it to find and then automatically downloads it for you to a certain folder using a certain filename. FileHippo has a free update checker application that has the idea, but hasn't gotten where it needs to go yet. With the update checker you can check only the applications you have INSTALLED and then download each one manually.

It needs to be one where programs can be selected in case I don't want to install all the programs on my own computer in order for the updater to search. I know places like FileHippo and MajorGeeks always fish the internet for the latest updates. I don't know how they do it though. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it very much. Also if anyone wants copies of my macros from iMacros let me know. Thanks!

Thank you for the suggestion. While that looks like a good problem it's not what I'm looking for. I am glad someone finally replied to me though.

I need a program that scans the internet for the latest downloadable release of an application (preferably only non-BETA) and downloads that latest release to a specified folder under a specified file name.

I know sites like MajorGeeks.com can do this with some sort of spider/tracker/scanner.

Personaly I use Firefox + wfx_versions

If set up properly it can keep You up to date faster then any software portal can provide ;) ...OK it only supports check on demand

And it supports many update channels (rss, www page, xml, ftp, changelog in some text file, basically whatever Firefox can load).

Edited by kulmegil

Personaly I use Firefox + wfx_versions

If set up properly it can keep You up to date faster then any software portal can provide ;) ...OK it only supports check on demand

And it supports many update channels (rss, www page, xml, ftp, changelog in some text file, basically whatever Firefox can load).

thank you!!! It's wonderful that firefox add-on :)

http://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/3830

2.jpg