CONFIG.SYS options problem Win98.UBCD.4.8

jda-au

Hi Soporific, I was unsure as to where to post this, as I know you are in the process of moving Win98.UBCD.#.#

I am using a Bootable CDROM, on a eleven year old system Gigabyte GA-586HX Motherboard, Intel 430HX Chipset, Pentium MMX 200MHz CPU, 120MB RAM; which requires CDROM Drivers to be loaded to access the Optical Drive. System BIOS does not auto-boot from Optical Drive.

Version in question, 4.8.0.001

I soon realized I needed to be accessing/calling "UNATTEND.BAT", instead of setup.exe

When I do access/call setup.exe, normal Installation occurs, no extras, no copyover occurs, and no Desktop#.bat's

Even so, it is one very fine piece of work, I am impressed, very.

I receive the following message:

There was a problem with the options as defined in CONFIG.SYS
This is a programming error, please report it to www.msfn.org

Please press any key to exit...

Now starting 98Lite...
Bad command or filename
A:\>

I have not altered/deleted any files, other than edit msbatch.inf

My CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=EMM386.EXE
FILES=40
DEVICEHIGH=VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001
LASTDRIVE=Z

My Autoexec.bat

@ECHO OFF
REM Load CDROM Driver
LOADHIGH MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001
REM Search for CDROM Disc, set parameters if 'correct disc' exists.
FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\LocateCD.386 SET BTCDROM=%%i:\
REM Only if "LocateCD.386" exists, else skipped.
IF EXIST %BTCDROM%LocateCD.386 ECHO "Commencing Installation of "Soporific's" Updated 'Windows 98SE UBCD V4.8'
REM Only if "UNATTEND.BAT" exists, else skipped.
IF EXIST %BTCDROM%SETUP\UNATTEND.BAT CALL %BTCDROM%SETUP\UNATTEND.BAT
EXIT

Probably not required/needed, but...

Modules using memory below 1 MB:

Name Total Conventional Upper Memory
-------- ---------------- ---------------- ----------------
MSDOS 18,848 (18K) 18,848 (18K) 0 (0K)
HIMEM 1,168 (1K) 1,168 (1K) 0 (0K)
EMM386 9,856 (10K) 9,856 (10K) 0 (0K)
VIDE-CDD 5,024 (5K) 5,024 (5K) 0 (0K)
COMMAND 7,296 (7K) 7,296 (7K) 0 (0K)
MSCDEX 21,648 (21K) 21,648 (21K) 0 (0K)
Free 591,296 (577K) 591,296 (577K) 0 (0K)

Memory Summary:

Type of Memory Total Used Free
---------------- ----------- ----------- -----------
Conventional 655,360 64,064 591,296
Upper 0 0 0
Reserved 393,216 393,216 0
Extended (XMS)* 133,169,152 638,976 132,530,176
---------------- ----------- ----------- -----------
Total memory 134,217,728 1,096,256 133,121,472

Total under 1 MB 655,360 64,064 591,296

Total Expanded (EMS) 33,947,648 (32M)
Free Expanded (EMS)* 33,554,432 (32M)

* EMM386 is using XMS memory to simulate EMS memory as needed.
Free EMS memory may change as free XMS memory changes.

Largest executable program size 591,168 (577K)
Largest free upper memory block 0 (0K)
MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.

Do I need to be doing something different, like a different bootable floppy? (which is a Bootable Windows 98 1.44MB).

(Thinking out loud, (not always sensible!), "98_boot.ima" on 2 x 1.44MB Floppies, as my FDD only accepts 1.44MB).

Should have no bearing, the CDROM has your "98_boot.ima", set as a 2.88MB Floppy.

Regards and best wishes,

UPDATE: How absolutely simply dumb of me!, (been a long time since I played with this Computer, BIOS).

Checked out the BIOS, and set the Boot sequence to CDROM, HDD.

(Got a bit throwed off course, as this BIOS does not list CD/DVD drives as visible, unlike my current System).

My current problem is fixed, but it would be nice to install to a System that does not have Bootable Optical BIOS, and still have the ease!

Thanks again Soporific

A further problem, this time with the Optical Drive/HDD "clashing", causing temporary "freeze".

Setup/System was locking up while installing: System Updates (2 of 4)...

It began at: START /WAIT "D:\installs\1\hotfixes\ie938127.exe", problem could be cured by opening the Optical Drive, and closing again.

There were no error messages, until I opened the Optical Drive, then the operation would continue successfully, until the next "freeze", which may be immediate, or a few seconds later.

I must have opened and closed the Optical Drive one hundred times, I persisted with it (after a few unnecessary Resets), problem disappeared after Setup finished with Step 2 of 4 and reset.

The Optical Drive is a DIAMONDDATA 52X CDROM

I put the Optical Disc in the VMware, start to finish without a problem, so it must be some problem with my Computer.

(I did have an Adaptec AHA-150X SCSI minicard Adapter installed, with a Jumper installed on a different IRQ than Win98SE was (obstinately) selecting, Jumper was on IRQ11 instead of IRQ9 as Win98SE set the Resources). Needless to say, the adapter would not work until I changed the Jumper Setting.

Now that all the hardware is working correctly, I think I should perform the complete Win98SE install process, else I am thinking of copying the complete Optical Disc contents to the HDD.

Edited by jda-au

Ive noticed a couple of faults with your config.sys file

Firstly the "EMM386.EXE" line should come straight after the "HIMEM.SYS" line

Secondly the "EMM386.EXE" line should finish with "RAM" or "NOEMS"

DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS

DEVICE=EMM386.EXE RAM

DOS=HIGH,UMB

FILES=40

DEVICEHIGH=VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001

LASTDRIVE=Z

Then you should have the UMBs loading giving about 620k of conventional memory available.

One thing I've learned about win98 is to get the DOS right first.

Another line you could add (REM it out if a STACKS error comes up, I have'nt had one yet)

STACKS=0,0

This will give another 3k of conventional memory (ish)

Ive noticed a couple of faults with your config.sys file... (cropped for brevity)

Thanking you for your help, been a very long time since I played around with a DOS (Dirty Operating System).

Oh!, how the GUI makes children out of us, if we can't click it we can't do it, begging pardon to the children whom may take offense.

Thanks heaps,

Slightly off subject, but still regards Win98.UBCD, I have killed/deleted "Windows Update Manager".

I have tested it, one step at a time, and if placed into the respective places of Win98.UBCD, or any other Win98SE Installation, 'tis hands off and gone forever. My OS is Win98SE (Full Version, not that there is any difference between any identical version except in price). The only enhancements, spit 'n polish is by way of Win98.UBCD.4.0.8.001, as supplied.

For an expanded explanation, and download the two files, which are only a total of 5.98K, Auto-patcher Win98.UBCD, (delete/hide) "Windows Update" links

Edited by jda-au