Registry Compressor

cannie

I have not found any mention to it in this forum, I use it since 2001 and iIMO is the best registry compactor. The old program is Registry Compressor Pro. I've tried several new substitutes and none is so simple and well adapted to Windows 98 SE as this.

HTH

I have not found any mention to it in this forum, I use it since 2001 and iIMO is the best registry compactor. The old program is Registry Compressor Pro. I've tried several new substitutes and none is so simple and well adapted to Windows 98 SE as this.

HTH

Pls - your version? Its last version correctly on win98?

Pls - your version? Its last version correctly on win98?

I keep using Registry Compressor Pro 2. There are also versions 3 and 4 and all work perfect because they were made when Windows 98 was the most used OS in the world.

Edited by cannie

Personal favorite under Win9x is RegCompact by Daniel Werner. The version I have is v1.0 (I believe) and is freeware. The URL has gone dead and I just searched for a link to no avail. It is a very good program though.

Later versions for XP are based on .NET and are easily found as RegCompact PRO or RegCompact.NET as shareware.

If anyone knows of a current link please post it. I would like to see if he released anything later for Win9x.

I've always compressed my registry using Windows built in function.

Shutdown and start in MS DOS

type in

scanreg /fix

scanreg /opt

This will fail under certain circumstances.

The built-in registry tools have multiple limitations. RAM memory size, registry size and registry complexity are the main barriers. Any or all of the three can cause the standard Windows tools to fail. This is why there are dedicated 3rd party tools that are successful even on very large registries.

The way the specialized tools work is to read the entire registry into memory while under Windows, write it back out contiguously to $temp files (in effect defragging it) and then prompt a reboot so that the temp files may be copied over the previous registry via WININIT.

Unless your system is butting up against these barriers then it is a matter of personal taste only. Speaking for myself, the RegCompact program is easy because {A} it is a simple 2-click solution, and {B} it has never failed even on really large registries with lots of REGEDIT illegal keys that will never work under real DOS reconstruction.

Also subjectively speaking, SCANREG will remove anything in a registry that it does not want. Some applications plant flags in a registry when they are 'registered'. If altered or removed a program can then stop working or for example revert to shareware again. Also, when SCANREG is run automatically on startup, it will often simply replace the current 'defective' registry with one archived in the CAB files. This is completely unacceptable behavior IMHO.

But again, if your Win9x install is new and the registry is small and your memory is large, you should be ok under all circumstances. It does pay to save copies of the DATs now and then anyway.

I found this link.

Does this help?

http://helf.freeshell.org/regcmp1a/

Thanks for that. This is very interesting as Daniel Werner seems to have released multiple builds with the same version info. I have found four different builds of this file (one is same as your link). Here is what I have (I believe the file date/time stamps have been accurately preserved) ...

FileName    Size    Date   Time            MD5 Hash               File CRC
REGCOM~1.EXE 73,728 10-15-00 04:36 d6c48ea6219abd82c127cf38994e0ed7 98738FC3
REGCOM~2.EXE 73,728 10-18-00 00:39 328012d5badf9833ad645d7ca9b08b37 2E4D7E33 <- [b]galahs[/b] link
REGCOM~3.EXE 73,728 10-28-00 17:16 f5e3fbb6209a0ed15e82be0f2b1847f7 00B40B76
REGCOM~4.EXE 73,728 12-01-00 20:33 5749eb12f8c4f4fa3f2489e62a0c1531 036EE115

They all have the following identical information in common ...

pe.compiler MS Visual C/C++ 5.0, 6.0
FixedFileInfo file type: Application
FileDescription RegCompact
FileVersion 1.0
InternalName RegCompact
LegalCopyright Copyright c 2000 Daniel Werner

... but enormous differences in structure. I have to assume for now that the December 2000 file is the latest. Anyway, I'll let you know if I turn up anything newer for Win9x.

EDIT: ... verion = version :wacko: and some other tweaks

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

RegCompact from that link seems to be simple and utile, but on 98se2me/xp after reboot it creat an error and must reinitialisation 98 system.What it is wrong?

Also after initialisation the registry were compacted.

Edit: I installed RegCompact in another folder (d:\ProgFile).

Now RegCompact installed in C:\Programs Files works without error.

Thank you for that program!

Edited by geoc