Add files to be displayed on desktop

chbt

Ideally, I'd like the slipstream discs I create to automatically install certain software (AntiVirus, etc.) onto the machines I use it with. Having seen I cannot do that, is there any way I can go ahead and put the installer (.exe) files into the slipstream disc so they are automatically placed onto a given users desktop?

Having seen I cannot do that

Just the opposite in fact you CAN do that. Look in the nLite addons section for a wide variety of addons.

You can also go here -- http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/ to understand how to manually add apps.

Plus there is 3rd party tools like WPI (look at my sig) that allow that sort of thing.. http://www.wpiw.net

It is actually very easy todo.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Having seen I cannot do that

Just the opposite in fact you CAN do that. Look in the nLite addons section for a wide variety of addons.

You can also go here -- http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/ to understand how to manually add apps.

Plus there is 3rd party tools like WPI (look at my sig) that allow that sort of thing.. http://www.wpiw.net

It is actually very easy todo.

Easy? I'm looking at that guide, and all I see is

In this section, we'll be showing you how you can install applications silently without user interaction.

Each page will show you the necessary batch commands you will need to use. You will need to add these commands to your own batch file which will run from [GuiRunOnce]. You can see how I've done mine by looking at start.cmd in the Examples page.

Stop there. I see the post with all of the addons, one of which is a program I want to add (Firefox 3.0). Nowhere on that download page does it tell me where to actually put the file it spits out.

Then find out what installer package it uses, and follow one of the links in the navigation menu under the Applications listing. This should be one of the first things to do when the application hasn't been added yet, the reason being is that the majority of applications are packaged using one of them.

All of mine are "user-friendly" installers with .exe's. It still has not told me where to put the files, or where to put these comands that it talked about earlier. What I was assuming is that the .exe's need to be placed somewhere on the CD, and then I need to add a "Run Once" comand that launches that .exe .... but then the site brags about "Silent install".

Let me fill you in on what I am doing. I am trying to create a set of 3 slipstream CD's for my ex-computer service and maintenance instructor. One is going to be a bare one, with certain applications, but no drivers. Another is for Dell Dimension 4600's, and another for Dell Dimension 2400's. Being as his budget is virtually nonexistant, this program looks like pure gold. All of our machines were donated. The programs we are looking to install are:

AVG Anti-Virus Free 8.0

Mozilla Firefox 3.0

CCleaner 2.11

I'm, for the most part, a hardware guy. I know almost nothing about programing, only how to fix most computer problems. I have no idea how to code anything into this disc.

Edit: I don't suppose this website has an IRC does it? If I could get help VIA IRC, that would really make my day.

Edit 2.0: Just saw in another post that somone was advised not to create a Windows XP Disc on a Windows Vista machine. Does this hold true in my case as well? Trying to do this on my laptop with Vista Home Prenium, but I can switch to my XP Home desktop if needed...

Edited by chbt

Stop there. I see the post with all of the addons, one of which is a program I want to add (Firefox 3.0). Nowhere on that download page does it tell me where to actually put the file it spits out.

You found them in the nLite forum, people assume you're using nLite ;) . Enable the "addons" step (after "Service Pack"), insert the addons, no extraction needed.

And the 3 programs you want are in the lists. :yes:

You found them in the nLite forum, people assume you're using nLite ;) . Enable the "addons" step (after "Service Pack"), insert the addons, no extraction needed.

Firefox is, AVG 8.0 is not. I do not want 7.5, as that version is no longer supported by grisoft.

And yes, I am using nlight. Could the fact that I'm running Windows Vista create a problem when burning a Windows XP disc?

Firefox is, AVG 8.0 is not. I do not want 7.5, as that version is no longer supported by grisoft.

Did you check further than the 1st list ? Did you notice the "s" in "lists" ?

If i think yon need place exe file on desktop its very easy

you must create newfolder then copy and paste exe file in new folder then you must use winrar,select all file and right click and choice add to archive

you must create sfx archive (in winrar check create sfx archive ) then goto comment tab in winrar and place is silent

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Path=%USERPROFILE%\Desktop

Silent=1

Overwrite=1

now you created on installer from all file and must create addonfor this

• 3 weeks later...

It would be nice if this software targeted at "Home Users" did not have a guide that assumes you're a software developer. It says what commands to add, but what it does not mention is where to put the installer files, and it also does not mention where to put the commands themselves. It also helps when you're not condescending to someone who is having a problem understanding the guides that are not meant for your own target audience.

Let me put this in plain English: Step by step, how do I add a program to a slipstream disc? If this is going to be 5 hours of coding, then I have no reason to bother with this. I need something short and simple. I am in college, and when I'm not doing schoolwork I'm at work. I am making this disc as a favor to a former teacher, but I can't devote 2 or 3 hours to installing one simple program.

chbt,

And yes, I am using nlight. Could the fact that I'm running Windows Vista create a problem when burning a Windows XP disc?

It has been reported in this forum that you can nLite an XP ISO under Vista if you set nLite.exe to XP SP2 Compatibility Mode. See here.

You have your XP cd, you have nLite, you have your 3 addons, you've been told when and how to include them, the answer to your question is already in this thread, but you sound like you haven't yet tried.