Winlited XP installs fine on VM but hangs on real install

newbino

Hi, I hope you can help me, I was so proud of my efforts [first attempt with nLite] until this problem.

I have a new PC with Vista Ultimate trial preinstalled which I want to revert to XP Pro. I experimented several times with nLite 1.48 - regularly testing the results in VirtualBox - until I came up with a satisfing one which installed and worked perfectly on the VM.

I then attempted to install it for real and it hanged forever (1 hour+) at "Installing Devices" [34 minutes to go]. Ok, reinstalled Vista from a backup image and tested again the .iso on VirtualBox and again it worked fine. But as soon as I tried again a real install, I ran into exactly the same problem.

I'd appreciate any help towards solving the issue - thanks in advance!

LAST_SESSION__205408.31_21.41.50_.INI

Edited by newbino

1. There were several reported problems with Nlite SP3 integration on Vista lately - I think they were resolved, but who knows? :} For troubleshooting purposes, try to install full SP3 first, do the Nlite thing, then install that. Or work in a virtual machine.

2. Leave the ComputerType = Default (or Automatic, whichever it is - just don't change it). XP most often ( :huh: ) picks the right one.

3. Depending on the hardware, you may need to integrate a SATA driver (since that computer came with Vista).

4. Why so many [KeepFiles]?

GL

This happens to me sometimes...when it happens to me in VM sometimes all I have to do is move the mouse and it continues, other times a second try with the same CD does the trick (reboot from CD and reformat again)

I think its a driver thing because I notice when I include my personal DriverPacks this does not happen

Edited by ricktendo64

Thanks to everybody for all replies and ideas.

@GrofLuigi

1. ok, will try installing SP3 first and working from that

2. ok

3. if the VM install was working fine, should this still be a potential problem? And if yes, any suggestions for where to find it?

4. [KeepFiles]

also for @TranceEnergy

I went through Bold Fortune "System32 files never to uninstall" and kept the ones that seemed relevant

@ricktendo64

have tried both your suggestions to no effect

@TranceEnergy

1. concerning [KeepFiles] please see above, but if there are specific ones for *old nvidia* cards and you let me know, I'll delete them

2. I am not well versed in nLite so I cannot see the error in the last line, could you point it out for me?

3. if the VM install was working fine, should this still be a potential problem? And if yes, any suggestions for where to find it?
Yes, because, as windows is concerned, there is different hadware present in the two installs (virtual vs actual). You need to find out what actual hardware you have (motherboard, chipset, SATA controllers). I can't think of speciffic instructions what you need to do right now, but you should be able to find everything in the forums (is it Driverpacks? I never used them - I always know my hardware). I hope others will come to the rescue. Also, search about nLite's "integrate drivers" feature and hopefully you'll find out what you need to do.
4. [KeepFiles]

also for @TranceEnergy

I went through Bold Fortune "System32 files never to uninstall" and kept the ones that seemed relevant

Delete all KeepFiles (except if nLite has put something there). Nlite usually does a good job of keeping necessary files. Only if you have specific reason to keep some files, then do it. This way, you're probably just interfering with Nlite's normal operation.

GL

GrofLuigi, thanks for your advice, the issue is solved.

Just for the record:

> this time I used nLite 1.49

> I followed your various suggestions

> I installed all the various drivers for motherboard, video etc. on the base XP SP3 *full* install, and saved them with Driver Genius

> I integrated these drivers in my new nLited XP

> tested, worked well on the VM, is now working well in the real install

thanks to everybody for the help

GrofLuigi, thanks for your advice, the issue is solved.

Just for the record:

> this time I used nLite 1.49

> I followed your various suggestions

> I installed all the various drivers for motherboard, video etc. on the base XP SP3 *full* install, and saved them with Driver Genius

> I integrated these drivers in my new nLited XP

> tested, worked well on the VM, is now working well in the real install

thanks to everybody for the help

Glad that all is well. :thumbup

GL