Using Virtual PC Hard Drives (VHD) on Virtual Box

spacesurfer

Just wanted to share, in case someone didn't know, you can use hard drives created by Virtual PC in the format .VHD with virtual box.

When you go to add a hard drive in VBox, just select to view all file types, then select the VHD. Then add it to your virtual machine and it will be auto mounted as the next drive letter!

You can even add a VHD with an OS installed on it and it will run. I just ran an installation of XP that was installed using VPC 2007 SP1 and it ran okay when I mounted the VHD in VBox. The only thing is you'll get prompted to add drivers for system hardware. I haven't messed with that as much.

However, if you have a data VHD, then it works great!

• 1 year later...

When Windows VirtualPC works well with HAV-based computer, its partner (Microsoft VirtualPC 2007 SP1) which has compatibility issue :blushing: won't work anymore in Windows 7, however, its rival (Sun VirtualBox 3.0.10) works wonders :whistle: !

For your information, the most recent IE6 on XP3.VHD created (which is freely distributed :rolleyes: ) would start to pop-up WGA balloon :ph34r: and needs to be activated within a day :angry: , even though it is alright to gain access Windows XP to perform administrative tasks using Windows 7's WPS :hello: remotely.

Edited by guoqiang