how can i add this type of registry value?

Delphianrex

Can you please write more details?

Your post seems too cryptic to be understood.

I see you're using an editor called "010 Editor" that is not freeware in the first place so I won't certainly even bother to install.

If you specify exactly what you need I (or others) might be able to provide some help.

:)

• 1 month later...
I want to add a "context menu" like 010 Editor for another application.

like the sample.

http://i34.tinypic.com/16bznfb.jpg

Here is a prototype ...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\*\Shell\[color="#FF0000"]SomethingUnique[/color]]
@="[color="#FF0000"]LabelInContextMenu[/color] ..."
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\*\Shell\[color="#FF0000"]SomethingUnique[/color]\Command]
@="C:\\[color="#FF0000"]FilePath[/color]\\[color="#FF0000"]FileName.exe[/color] \"%1\""

For example, you have an application called XYZeditor by XYZ Software (these are completely fictitious names and paths!) ...

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\*\Shell\My XYZ Program]
@="Edit with XYZ Program ..."
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\*\Shell\My XYZ Program\Command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\XYZ Software\\XYZeditor.exe \"%1\""

Later if you choose to delete this you can simply ...

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\*\Shell\My XYZ Program]

Those scripts are for REGEDIT import. I used REGEDIT4 arbitrarily because it will import into both Win9x and WinXP.

If you supply the information like the name of the program and the exact path it can be easily created and posted here.

but do u know how i can do it precisely like 010 Editor?

Need more information to answer that. I do not have 010 Editor, is there a link that you can point to?. To make this context menu entry we need to know:

What program you want to have open from clicking in the Context Menu. Its exact name and location on your HDD is also needed.

What types of files this program is capable of opening. Is it all files like UltraEdit or is it only text files like Pfe32.

Please explain everything you can and go heavy on the details. Another screenshot or a link to an existing one online would be useful. More details!

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

dear CharlotteTheHarlot i dont have any problem right now.

but i was wondering why the context menu is added in the middle of the right click menu but in your tutorial

the option is added in top of the right click menu.

i wanna use this trick on Ollydbg,PEiD,Grindinsoft Notepad,etc

please check the screenshot.

Edited by Delphianrex

i was wondering why the context menu is added in the middle of the right click menu but in your tutorial

the option is added in top of the right click menu.

i wanna use this trick on Ollydbg,PEiD,Grindinsoft Notepad,etc

please check the screenshot.

Ah, now I understand. I had to zoom in to that supplied screenshot to see what you meant. Here is the deal:

The placement within the context menu for extensions added to the registry structure called Shell is a function of the Explorer shell reading additions that are tacked on to several existing objects. In most cases the class used for all objects, *, appears on top, followed by Folder and then Directory (and several others). These appear as plain old text entries in the context menu unfortunately.

The placement within the context menu for extensions added to the registry structure called ShellEx is also a function of the Explorer shell, but they are assisted by custom DLL files and are called by CLSID. These ShellEx entries appear below Shell entries and can use icons alongside the text and can even insert divider lines and use flyout sub-menus.

The bad news is that there is no easy way to accomplish what the custom entry for 010 Editor does on your screenshot. They are not using a context menu entry like the one I whipped up in a previous post. They have registered a DLL that they programmed to be available in the right-click context menu using an icon (but no flyout).

The good news is that there is a solution out there that I am only casually acquainted with presently, however I'll bet that there are members here that can bring you up to speed quickly on it. This thing looks really good though. I mean really really good. It is called Fast Explorer Context Menu Extension DLL by Alex Yakovlev and is found here. Looks like they have updated it and it still appears to be free. Win9x is still supported as well! :thumbup

Another idea is to see if there are already existing context menu extensions for several of those that you mentioned. Contact the authors of Ollydbg, PEiD, Grindinsoft and see. If they haven't already made one, ask them to!

P.S. I wish I could help more but I don't have the time to try this DLL now. If no-one else jumps in here with experience with this extension, you might want to start a new thread (or edit the name of this one) to include Fast Explorer DLL to attract folks that have used it. I for one would like to hear about it. Oh yeah, If you get the DLL, please post back with comments and a screenshot!

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

The good news is that there is a solution out there that I am only casually acquainted with presently, however I'll bet that there are members here that can bring you up to speed quickly on it. This thing looks really good though. I mean really really good. It is called Fast Explorer Context Menu Extension DLL by Alex Yakovlev and is found here. Looks like they have updated it and it still appears to be free. Win9x is still supported as well! :thumbup

Good find. :)

The link is this one:

http://thesoftpro.tripod.com/downloads/fe/index.htm

(more explicit)

jaclaz