Can WPI be triggered if it resides elsewhere?

I have searched (hopefully I am correct) and have not seen anyone trying to do what I want

Here is the scenario- I use mainly a DVD for install, with WPI residing on it. No problems, works great.

But...every once in a while I get a very old machine with no DVD drive. I have a CD that contains wpi but is very limited due to space- can I move the wpi folder onto a thumb drive? It seems that RunWPI_Zune.exe (in my case) searches for the WPI folder at the root, but will it look at removable drives or drives that are not the correct drive letter?

Does it simply look for a WPI folder? If I remove it from the cd and add it to the flash drive, it shouldn't find the install cd, should it? The only issue would be if I didnt have the thumb drive in the machine it would complain that it couldn't find wpi.hta. I guess in that scenario it might be nice if it scanned backwards, so a smaller wpi could still exist on the cd for those times when there is no thumbdrive attached. I would still use it for regtweaks and such. I assume it doesn't take too long to scan all the drives?

If you think this is something that others may benefit from I am definitely up for helping test.

Thank you for all your help!

Just as an update, I have a Voyager thumbdrive which has been modded to show as a "local disc" and have transferred all of WPI onto it. I ran my install cd (without wpi located within) and it comes up with a "cannot find e:\wpi.hta" error. Once in windows I see that my thumb drive was assigned drive "d", and the cd is drive "e". Should the program have looked for a lower drive than "e" if that is where the install occured? I am going to return the drive to a standard "removable" drive next to see if it fixes the issue

Edited by gospeed

No your doing it right as soon as i get home I will compile that run WPI for you!

I am like 90% sure it will work right.

Be home in like half an hour or less.

edit you should plug the drive in after the parttioning proccess so that it is set to e: instead of d: Failing anything else we can always mod the wpi .js files to only look for wpi.hta... I do appreciate the extra testing.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

tested with an old xp setup so I wouldn't taint my current one, and it worked except for a couple errors which I think may be on my part. I will check into it later this evening

The first was a "there was a problem retrieving the xml data" "Unknown" error,

The second was that there was a empty wpi shell when the computer restarted. MSHTA is running, it goes away when the process is stopped.

I think its on my part, but I need to play with it a bit. As far as triggering wpi, it works great... my WPI drive is located at D: and my install cd is E: so it does what I need it to do! It plays nice with abnormal drive letters.

all I did was insert my old config.js and your modified core.js, and then went through and changed some of the options, so i am sure I just need to play with it a bit.

It makes me happy too, this is perfect for those older computers, no need for multiple cd's anymore:) Just boot the install cd and let her go!

sorry to be a pain, but I have been using the RunWPI_Zune.exe version... :) Any chance you could tweak it up for me?

So, since this seems to be working, there is no problem using it with my typical dvd's then, right? It just scans backwards is all?

Edited by gospeed

LOL you're not being a pain m8. I can whip that up for you.

Not only does it scan backwards but it only looks for WPI\WPI.hta instead of the other files it used to look for too.

Edit here ya go = Whipped up with the Zune theme and proper regfile to set the Pre-logon boxes to Zune :D

http://www.wpiw.net/RunWPI_gospeed.exe

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Ok, I had to go back to the previous version of WPI, as for some reason I am getting some errors. I probably just need to spend more time with it- all I did was drop in my config.js, and reset the configuration. When I try to chose a program to load, and it should go to the installer, it just goes blank. if you try to reload, it says that it is already running, and if you cancel it starts loading. Then, upon restart, it locks up with mshta running, and wont give me a desktop until it is stopped.

I re-tried the disc (with the first version of the runwpi) without the .js file you provided and using the old version of wpi on my flash drive and it works great. Not sure what was changed in the .js file but it doesnt seem to be needed? Now I will put in the new zune version, the rest of the changes will likely be to the flash drive end of it.