VLite - Why do I need 1.3GB AIK?!

I wanted to install a lighter version of vista in my laptop inside the virtual PC. When I installed vLite in the host OS (Vista HP again), it is asking me to install Automated Installation Kit. I went to microsoft.com to download this stuff, and I was shocked to see its size (1.3 GB!!) Can anyone tell me whether I'll be able to use vLite without this heavy AIK? I don't want to install a 1.3GB of software in my host OS just to prepare a lighter installation of Vista for the virtual PC.

TIA!

It is necessary because MS gets really P*SSED when they have proprietary files being randomly distributed.

So in an effort to not have MS on his but nuhi decided (and wisely so) that he must remove the file.

Thus if you are really dedicated to using vLite and customizing the Vista DVD then you must install waik. You can always uninstall it afterwords.

Plus there is a very easy solution if you care to read a few posts in this forum section relating to the exact same thing...

• 1 month later...
Guest xbosnax

I went through the struggle of downloading 1.3 GB of worthlessness just for the WIM driver/filter. So if you want the files required for VLite to run, here's a link with the three files needed: wimfltr.inf, wimfltr.sys, wimgapi.dll

[ REMOVED. ]

I couldn't find a link myself, and had to go through the hassle. Spread it around, make it easier on yourselves and others.

1.b Respect the requests of companies who do not permit redistribution of their products without express permission - including unmodified hotfix/feature pack packages. Download sources for official software should be from the vendor directly where possible. Posts made containing this type of content may be removed immediately without warning, and offenders may be banned on first violation.
Edited by gamehead200
READ THE RULES.

• 9 months later...
It is necessary because MS gets really P*SSED when they have proprietary files being randomly distributed.

So in an effort to not have MS on his but nuhi decided (and wisely so) that he must remove the file.

Thus if you are really dedicated to using vLite and customizing the Vista DVD then you must install waik. You can always uninstall it afterwords.

Plus there is a very easy solution if you care to read a few posts in this forum section relating to the exact same thing...

you are a star, man... just saved 1.29GBs to download to a ton of people

Thanks again.

you are a star, man... just saved 1.29GBs to download to a ton of people

Thanks again.

The link has been removed as it shouldn't have been there in the first place. Consider yourself lucky.

[ Closed as per rule 1b. ]