What new computer piece do you spend the most $$$ on

cumminbk

i would have to say my graphics card

Funnily, that's where I spend the least money.

In my case, it would definitely be storage -- always was, always has been, and I don't see a sign of that changing anytime soon either. Storage gets cheaper, but files keep growing (large DSLR photos in RAW format, HD videos, multimedia stuff, VM images, etc)

Edited by crahak

but also my monitors cost alot.

Even a single monitor can be pretty expensive... My 24" BenQ FP241W (P-MVA panel, not TN) was ~$700 CDN from ncix with taxes, shipping, and 0 dead pixel warranty. But I still spend more than that on storage.

how many hdds could you possibly have?

12 per stacker 810 just to start, the smallest being 500GB. Then some more in other systems and a couple externals.

There is no such thing as "enough storage", especially if you like HD movies, if you keep all your movies & tv eps handy for a HTPC (even if you delete the stuff you won't watch again) and/or use your computer to PVR stuff, if keep a library of VM images, if you like lossless music or such things. Going through a dozen TBs is very easy.

Can't live without at least two

I used to be like that with 4:3 monitors (CRTs), but then again using 2+ monitors was a pain in different ways: from software not really supporting it/requiring apps like ultramon, to being a real PITA when you wanna switch them using a KVM. Multi monitor KVM switches (like 4 port, dual DVI) aren't too common and rather pricey (last I checked around $500). And that's assuming you don't need dual link DVI or anything fancy either (and I can already foresee needing that with resolutions past 1920x1200)

But nowadays @ 1920x1200 (high res and widescreen), I don't really have a need for dual monitors anymore (I'd rather have virtual desktops Compiz Fusion-style instead). There's barely enough space for a pair of 24" on my desk, and that's definitely wider than my field of view. If I wanted more, I probably would have went for a 30" instead (the Samsung 305T is around $1100 right now), which will also give you more vertical space, and be more useful than a pair of monitors if you plan on watching HD movies on it.

I wish they'd get with the times, and offer spdif or toslinks on some high-end KVM switches too... I'd definitely be willing to pay $100 extra for that.

Edited by crahak

The most important part of any computer I build, is not a question of money, but money is no object when it comes to choosing, is the motherboard. The motherboard, for me, is primordially the most important component as it defines what you can build around it.

Can't live without at least two

I used to be like that with 4:3 monitors (CRTs), but then again using 2+ monitors was a pain in different ways: from software not really supporting it/requiring apps like ultramon, to being a real PITA when you wanna switch them using a KVM. Multi monitor KVM switches (like 4 port, dual DVI) aren't too common and rather pricey (last I checked around $500). And that's assuming you don't need dual link DVI or anything fancy either (and I can already foresee needing that with resolutions past 1920x1200)

But nowadays @ 1920x1200 (high res and widescreen), I don't really have a need for dual monitors anymore (I'd rather have virtual desktops Compiz Fusion-style instead). There's barely enough space for a pair of 24" on my desk, and that's definitely wider than my field of view. If I wanted more, I probably would have went for a 30" instead (the Samsung 305T is around $1100 right now), which will also give you more vertical space, and be more useful than a pair of monitors if you plan on watching HD movies on it.

I wish they'd get with the times, and offer spdif or toslinks on some high-end KVM switches too... I'd definitely be willing to pay $100 extra for that.

ah come on, get dual 24's :)

i have a 24" and 22" right now, very nice for coding :)

On every build, the motherboard without a doubt. Last one was $369. The only other expensive parts I have purchased for my current build was 3 24" BenQ FP241W LCD screens and Ergotron mounting arms for them.

Edited by MrCobra