Dell inspiron hard drive errors

luciferx

hi every 1 i'm in deep need 4 ur help all..

a friend gave me her Dell inspiron 1520 laptop claiming that it just died all of the sudden..so i figured it might be a software problem and i would just format it and it will be all good. knowing that the case corner had some serious damage from a fall ! never the less it was working just fine for a couple of months b4 it crashes. any ways i ran the device on the safe mode it was working just fine but when i restarted it. it gave me the msg" that the hard drive s not detected error 0418 or something" i researched the error and it means the hard drive needs 2 be replaced..so i figured ok the hard drive maybe damaged by the fall.i went and bought a new (WD 160gb SATA)hard drive hoping that it will solve the problem..but no i tried 2 install the Vista and it crashes when the instillation starts.. XP and ubuntu cant detect the new hard drive.. so now i'm stumped with no idea wht 2 to do next.. can any 1 plz walk me step by step with wht to do ASAP..and i'll be more then thankful...

http://www.msfn.org/board/start-new-topic-f67.html#

i ran the device on the safe mode it was working just fine but when i restarted it. it gave me the msg" that the hard drive s not detected error 0418 or something"

i researched the error and it means the hard drive needs 2 be replaced..so i figured ok the hard drive maybe damaged by the fall.

i went and bought a new (WD 160gb SATA)hard drive hoping that it will solve the problem..but no i tried 2 install the Vista and it crashes when the instillation starts..

XP and ubuntu cant detect the new hard drive..

First, please don't copy/paste the same question 3 times in the same forum, ressurrecting posts from 3 years ago (I have removed the 2 duplicates).

I would assume the reason XP & Ubuntu are unable to see the hard disk is that it is a SATA drive and they have no in-box drivers - however if the Vista installation fails then it might indicate a hardware problem elsewhere.

More details on exactly when the Vista install crashes and what is displayed on the screen may be useful - e.g. does it get to the drive/partition selection screen and start copying files, then reboot during this stage, or get stuck in a reboot loop after the first restart?