How to use mkisofs and boot.bin

random0xff

nLite comes with mkisofs.exe en a boot.bin file, so I thought I had everything I needed to create a bootable iso form the command line, like this:

mkisofs.exe -joliet -translation-table -omit-period -b boot.bin -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-load-seg 0x07C0 -full-iso9660-filenames -disable-deep-relocation -joliet-long -omit-version-number -no-iso-translate -o .\WinLite.iso .\Source

But each time I get the error: "Uh oh, I can't find the boot image 'boot.bin' !"

Is boot.bin in the nLite program folder not a good boot image for mkisofs.exe?

Thanks!

... Let nLite make the ISO for you :P Under the options, there's a selection for "Bootable ISO" -- simply wait to press the "Make ISO" button if you have to change things/add things by hand. I've had too much coffee :ph34r:

In your example, boot.bin has to be in the same folder where mkisofs.exe the source is, or the path to it must be given.

A good idea is to use, until you have mastered the command line options, to use a GUI or pseudoGUI for mkisofs.

Check this thread where the matter about the path is explained:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=16997

And, if you are making a "normal" boot CD, maybe this is handy:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=4425

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I have extracted the Microsoft Corporation.img from my Windows XP CD and put it in the same folder as mkisofs.exe and I still get the same error

mkisofs.exe -b "Microsoft Corporation.img" -o test.iso .\test

That should by all means be correct, right? I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Most probably mkisofs makes a check on the boot file and needs also the "no emulation". :unsure:

The "default" to make a XP boot CD "should" be the following:

mkisofs -iso-level 4 -l -d -D -J -joliet-long -b boot.bin -hide boot.bin -hide boot.catalog -allow-multidot -no-emul-boot -volid "XPCD" -A MKISOFS -sysid "Win32" -boot-load-size 4 -o "M:\Winlite.iso" "M:\source"

(this is "hardcoded" to M: drive)

Can you just try to run the above?

jaclaz

mkisofs: Uh oh, I cant find the boot image 'boot.bin' !

And it's right there! Argh! Also, what is boot.catalog, because I don't have that file. I did see it on the Windows CD, should I extract that too?

I think I'll give up on mkisofs, is there an alternative command line program?

Thanks!

Edited by random0xff

... And is there a reason to not use the default, built in options? it tells you the command line you're using.

Wait, do you mean nLite? I don't understand what you mean.

I tried jaclaz's command and I still get the error. So it's just not working how it should or I'm going crazy.

I tried jaclaz's command and I still get the error. So it's just not working how it should or I'm going crazy.

Let's try again. :)

Post the directory structure you are using, I will try and replicate it, to try and see if we can find the problem, i.e. I need something like this:

C:\testmkisofs\
C:\testmkisofs\boot.bin
C:\testmkisofs\mkisofs.exe
C:\testmkisofs\Source

jaclaz

-b The pathname must be relative to the source path specified to mkisofs.

First example: boot.bin is seeked at .\Source

Second example: "Microsoft Corporation.img" is seeked at .\test

Be aware:

-b is case sensitive. Case does matter.

And / goes to a directory. That's not \.

... And is there a reason to not use the default, built in options? it tells you the command line you're using.

Wait, do you mean nLite? I don't understand what you mean.

nLite can burn the CDs for you :whistle: Just tell it to at the end :3

-b The pathname must be relative to the source path specified to mkisofs.

First example: boot.bin is seeked at .\Source

Second example: "Microsoft Corporation.img" is seeked at .\test

My bad :blush:

I had a brain fart, sorry.

Correcting my previous post, just to avoid that people may get the wrong info.

jaclaz

• 5 months later...

What is the advantage of using Mkisofs instead of the Default in the Advanced - ISO Engine option for your Bootable ISO in nLite ?

If your target is an XP x64 Edition bootable iso, which is your best bet and why?

Edited by meowing

What is the advantage of using Mkisofs instead of the Default in the Advanced - ISO Engine option for your Bootable ISO in nLite ?

None.

If your target is an XP x64 Edition bootable iso, which is your best bet and why?

Use nlite normally.

If, for any reason, it doesn't work, then you might think about using mkisofs manually.

If ain't broken don't fix it! ;)

jaclaz