what not to remove for WMI ?

voidwalker

I got a problem...

On Advanced tab of a network connection, windows tells me WMI is corrupted, and in any p2p program i cannot get my ports to be reachable, only passive connections. I am attaching the .ini file of nlite, please tell me what not to remove so this doesn't break. Also please tell me if there's anything i can do to fix it on my current windows install, so I do not have to reformat

LAST_SESSION.INI

I didnt react to anything in that preset of what you have removed or so. I think it was a very harmless nlite preset.

Except that 16.million half-open tcp-ip connections per second is a little extreme. You will NEVER need that. If that could cause the problem you are experiencing, i dont know, i think not.

But still its the only think i thought was out of the ordinary.

well that's just a variable right ? it's not like it's doing something, it's just allowing something to happen

so.. 10.. 10 million . what's the difference ? ideas please, i want to get this thing close to perfect and this is a serious bug

Well, depending on how this so called 'variable' is handled by the code in tcpip.sys, such a (insanely) large value could very well break your system. A value around 50 is more than enough, most (home/ADSL) routers can't handle even that, so you are really going overboard.

Does anyone know the tweak or hack to reverse this 16,000,000 half open connections thing?

Without having to remake and re-install a whole OS?

This is exactly the same problem I am experiencing too and I think I did set it to 16M because I just always do. :blushing:

You seem to have found a bug in nLite here. :sneaky:

The exact message on Network Connection > Properties > Advanced, says:

Windows cannot display the properties of this connection. The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) information might be corrupted. To correct this, use System Restore to restore Windows to an earlier time (called a restore point). System Restore is located in the System Tools folder in Accessories.

Although seriously I do not think for one second this is causing a slowdown on your bandwidth. ;)

However the 16 billion trillion zillion half open connectivity might be.

Also see if you have DNS Client enabled although again, its probably not that.

Edited by LeveL

That patch has nothing to do with the problem.

You need some of this medicine.

GL

*Edit:

1. 5eraph's tool seems useful.

2. I don't think the problem in the first post has anything to do with nLite. I think it came from either the addons or some software/user action afterwards. Maybe malware?

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

I beg to differ, GrofLuigi.

The exact message on Network Connection > Properties > Advanced, says:

Windows cannot display the properties of this connection. The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) information might be corrupted.

this tool can also be used to repair post-setup repository corruptions. Just run it and reboot.

but still i cannot have any ports open on my machine. please advise what to do :(

1. Did it work at any point after the install?

2. Do you have a router?

3. Are the following services: Windows Firewall(ICS) and Application Layer Gateway up and running?

4. Can you manipulate the Firewall tab on Network Connection Properties (turn it on/off)?

5. What protocols do you see in the properties of your network connection (This connection uses the following items...)?

GL

but still i cannot have any ports open on my machine. please advise what to do :(

2. Do you have a router?

3. Are the following services: Windows Firewall(ICS) and Application Layer Gateway up and running?

4. Can you manipulate the Firewall tab on Network Connection Properties (turn it on/off)?

5. What protocols do you see in the properties of your network connection (This connection uses the following items...)?

GL

1. No, it was like that first time i checked it, also a friend tried my cd and he reported the same error

2. No, i don't have a router

3. they are both running

4. yes i can now, only after i did what it says here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm

5. client for microsoft networks, file and print sharing for microsoft networks, qos packet scheduler, internet protocol (tcp/ip)

2. Do you have a router?

GL

1. No, it was like that first time i checked it, also a friend tried my cd and he reported the same error

2. No, i don't have a router

3. they are both running

4. yes i can now, only after i did what it says here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm

5. client for microsoft networks, file and print sharing for microsoft networks, qos packet scheduler, internet protocol (tcp/ip)

1. Funny, because I don't see anything in your nLite preset that would interfere (Maybe only addons, if they are not done properly).

4. Turn the firewall off if it is on and vice versa. Check details of the firewall. See which ports are open and then open closed ones according to your needs. (I am not sure, but I think in the past I have seen a case where firewall was off and still blocked ports. There might have been other reason though.) As a desperate measure, turn firewall off and stop/disable the two services referenced in 3.

5. Seems OK.

NEW:

6. As standard steps for any troubleshooting, check device manager (with "show hidden devices" on) for any device conflicts and check Event Logs.

7. If it's a problem for p2p programs only, check within them (most of them have an option to launch your default browser and check for blockades). This is such a site .

8. Sorry for posting so many suggestions, but this is an ambigouos issue, with many variables unknown. Hope some of them help. :)

GL

6. nothing wrong in device manager. don't know how to check event logs?

Start > Run > [type] eventvwr

7. it's a problem on all programs, can't get open ports to work

Please explain in more detail how are you checking it and what are the error messages, if any?

GL