Wont completely boot.... Just keeps rebooting.

adambaumil

My nlite installation is not going so well. I get all the way through the installation then it auto reboots (which is expected) the Windows XP (from the boot.ini) comes up then it just reboots again. Wont progress any further.

Any ideas?

• Is it a stock source?
  • Do you have any additions installed?
  • are you removing anything?
  • do you get a "boot from CD" prompt?
  • have you confirmed that the source will install correctly?
  • have you considered that you deleted something you shouldn't have?
  • have you attempted booting it in safe mode?

Is it a stock source? ---------- It is a OEM version, if that is what you are asking.

Do you have any additions installed? ---------- No additions, I have added a batch file to the root of the CD.

are you removing anything? ---------- Is there something I shouldnt remove?

do you get a "boot from CD" prompt? ---------- Yes, I am able to install just fine, its once the installation is complete the preceding boot goes into a loop or rebooting.

have you confirmed that the source will install correctly? ---------- Yes, I have used the source disc to successfully install XP.

have you considered that you deleted something you shouldn't have? ---------- Yes, but it is not obvious to me that one of the items that I am selecting not to have installed would prevent boot.

have you attempted booting it in safe mode? ---------- Yes, I can boot into safe mode.

Is it a stock source? ---------- It is a OEM version, if that is what you are asking.

--> OK, at least its not a reinstall disk

Do you have any additions installed? ---------- No additions, I have added a batch file to the root of the CD.

--> What are the contents of this CD?

are you removing anything? ---------- Is there something I shouldnt remove?

--> Some things can cause system instability if you dont have at least _some_ of them (things like a few graphics drivers and other hardware)

do you get a "boot from CD" prompt? ---------- Yes, I am able to install just fine, its once the installation is complete the preceding boot goes into a loop or rebooting.

--> sounds like XP is hanging on some kind of stuck driver...

have you confirmed that the source will install correctly? ---------- Yes, I have used the source disc to successfully install XP.

--> This means the source disk isnt broken.

have you considered that you deleted something you shouldn't have? ---------- Yes, but it is not obvious to me that one of the items that I am selecting not to have installed would prevent boot.

--> Again, some things can make the system unstable in the real world

have you attempted booting it in safe mode? ---------- Yes, I can boot into safe mode.

--> Means a driver is broken somewhere or something is missing that the system expects for a normal startup.

I'd try doing the nLitenment again, basing it off the OEM disk and wiping the old nLited version. there is an option called "safe" in the Components selection dialog. its next to the tray button, under "presets->Load"... this is a safe way to slim down your install without making life crazed.

But more importantly why does that prevent nLite from working? :unsure::huh:

Every "major" OEM does changes, and they are even often NOT ALL the same ones from a same OEM, even the "philosophy" of the changes different models/releases of the disk.

Of course supporting (in the sense of being compatible with) all these different releases would be a nightmare, and nuhi instead of the GOOD "lone" guy he is :) should be a Corporation.

For the same reason it is practically impossible to say WHAT is the thing (orr things) that break the compatibility with nlite

What you can do is "revert" the concept:

create from the files you have and from the Service Pack(s) or other files provided by Microsoft, adding drivers and (if wanted) "OEM apps" from the files you have or from the Manufacturer's site, a "standard" build.

See this thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/How-do-I-make-a-...th-t120423.html

AND the ones there referenced.

Of course a VM for testing is needed, at least initially, and however some tests with real hardware are needed anyway, you should use a CDRW as the making of a few coasters are probable during the process.

Once you have a working "standard" CD, you will see that nlite works perfectly.

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I have the same problem of the rebooting installation.

Problem went over when I stopped slipstreaming the ie7 and wmp11 hotfixes...

Don't know why and I don't care. I use firefox, I since some days chrome, which I like.

Greetz

okay, now I'm angry!!!

After waisting a day I found out problem comes from either slipstreaming sp3 in xp with a computer running vista or slipstreaming using nlite instead of integrate option (in which case, Dino, I already apologize because you are to me the saviour of windows and I would forgive you this bug, though I suppose the problem is with vista).

Now everythings works perfect.

Long live xp. To hell with vista!!!

adambaumil,

Have you tried to boot into Safe Mode (hit F8)? If you can get into Safe Mode, go into My Computer Properties and turn off Automatically Restart. The next reboot should then halt with a BSOD and the error code. If you are using a real machine (not virtual) and have an AMD processor there is a problem with SP3 that causes a continuous reboot. Let us know what you learn. The MS fix is here.

Good luck, John.

I had same problem yesterday, but i had set the "maximum unfinished simultaneous connections (TCP/IP patch)" to 16777215 so i set it back to 1000.

I also had the USB Port Polling Frequency (Hz) to 1000 so i set that back to default.

then re imaged and tried again and all was fine...

don't know if this will help you but it def did me ok...