Last notebooks compatible with Windows 98 SE

BlueFalcon

Hello,

I want to buy a used notebook as powerfull as possible which can run windows 98 Se and windows xp 32 in dual boot mode.

Please, if you know some of the last models post your comments.

I think that the Toshiba Satellite 5105-S607 may be can win 98 se, because there are some drivers to win98se including wi-fi, bluetooth and sound card.

Thank you very much.

Thanks for your comment.

I would like to know which of the lastest powerfull laptops which still can run windows 98 SE and windows xp in dual boot mode, utilizing an ide hard drive, of course. I think that new laptops do not run windows 98 Se, but if someone know any, please, post your brand/model.

I have some older softwares which run only with windows 9x; I need of laptop windows 98 Se compatible by hardware, emulation softwares do not run properly because the vga and sound card drivers must be installed.

I will to use the windows 98 Se only to run older softwares and the windows xp to general use until that new laptops based on nehalem micro-architecture with the new windows has been avaliable to buy.

If someone know some laptops that support win98se and winxp in dual boot mode, please, post your brand/model.

Thanks.

I would like to know which of the lastest powerfull laptops..

I was wrong (I understood "notepad"). Please disregard. :blushing:

Don't know any newest model of laptops able to run dual boot.

Sorry.

Try to get a laptop with some nVidia-based graphics card up to the 7xxx family, with less than 512MB. As for sound, I'm not sure... try to get something with some realtek-card and hope there are drivers for it. About wireless, network and stuff, I've got no idea... perhaps you'll be better off with some external wireless adapter.

FUJITSU-SIEMENS is only notebook producer which is using Via and SiS chipset and because of that :

FSC AMILO Li 1705

FSC ESPRIMO MOBILE V5535

FSC AMILO La 1703

FSC ESPRIMO MOBILE V5535

FSC ESPRIMO MOBILE V5535

FSC ESPRIMO MOBILE V5535

• 2 weeks later...

That would be the IBM Thinkpad T42 series which is the last notebooks to fully support windows 98se. Excellent choice since they featured Pentium M processor running up to 2.1Ghz and dedicated ATI 9600 or FireGL T2 Graphics. Memory can be expanded up to a massive 2GB worth of ram. Even the IBM mini wifi G card with bluetooth II fully works in 98se.

I would personally get a IBM Thinkpad T41P since most models did not come with a finger print reader that does not fully work in 9x and the TPM (Trusted Platform Manager) drivers are non existence for the 98se/Me environment. They still featured the FireGL T2 graphics with 128MB of ram, beautifully XVGA+ 1400x1050 display, wifi and bluetooth, rolling cage design, usb 2.0 support, and daul pcima card slot.. All built in a sleek travel friendly design that truely shows off your vintage computing side. Dare to multiboot Vitsta and 98se :whistle:

If you on a budget then you could find good deals on the T30 (Sweat shop P4 M ) or early T40 models which also had fully supported functions for 98se, but I would try and go for a T41 since the graphics are way better and more memory can be added.

Surprisingly also! :blink: eMachines :blink: created sweet multimedia laptops that were fully windows 98se compatible. My sister has my old M5405 that I've blasted Windows XP away and installed Windows Me. It's been 4 years since I got it and no problems yet! That came with a fast Sempron 2800+ processor with SIS graphics and Broadcom wireless that worked with Millennium, but not 98se for some strange reason.

Nooowww.. If you looking for a Windows 95 ready Laptop that would be the IBM T23. Some models came with a built in wifi card that fully works under Windows 95 OSR 2.x! Excellent robust intel 825 chipset with a blazing fast Pentium III M 1.3Ghz .

Hope this helps! This post caught my attention since I was in the same boat. Typing thist post on my T42 and runs great under 98se.

PS. Stay away from Toshiba. Even today their vista laptops are designed to not support XP which consumers are p***ED. IBM the way to go! :thumbup

Springdale, thanks for your attention!

I really need a mobile system mobile with win98se support by hardware (no vm softwares).

Do you recommend the Ibm thinkpad T42P with firegl t2 graphics?

I find some models avaliable on ebay.

This notebook is really fully compatible with windows 98 Se?

I ask it because i dont find the firegl t2 drivers to windows 98 se...

I have only a desktop fully compatilble with win98se, a k8v-mx, sempron 3000+, via k8m800.

This cpu is slow to convert videos.

Thank you very much.

T42P are sure luxury thinkpads with some having bigger 15" displays, but IBM did not officially give support for these laptop for 98se (T42 are), but that does not stop us. You can get the FireGL drivers off of IBM's/Lenovo website for 98se/Me, but keep in mind with the T42 and T42p have the TPM (Trusted Platform Manager) and finger print reader which is not supported under 98se. With the T42 I gave up on the search for drivers of the TPM, but upeck has fingerprint drivers for 98se and I have no clue how to make use of it in 98se yet other than having it appear in device manager. Here is the list of T42 drivers: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-55386.html

If you don't mind having a missing puzzel peice when it comes to TPM hardware then go for the T42P with a IBM based wifi card. Intel stripped their wifi drivers for 98se and even some for windows 2000. :angry: There are a few intel wifi cards that support 98se, but you would want to do some research to see if you could find those drivers.

The ATI FireGL T2 is a fairly good video card and pars almost evenly with the ATI 9600. Notebookcheck.com rates it as a class 4 video card. Problem with the FireGL T2 are not meant for high end games and geared towards graphic design. Now, if your not a huge gamer I would not worry so much. They say the ATI FireGL T2 is a 9600, but re-branded and possibly tweaked for desktop graphic design. Make things in simple terms the FireGL T2 are good video card for today's standards and support vista areo. Also, IBM has fully optimized drivers for 98se.

Your not going to see a huge performance increase between your sempron 3000+, but looking at benchmarks from passmark CPU it seems you'll see a small increase if you get a T42P with a 1.8 and anything higher You'll see a good performance gain. You can upgrade to a 2.26Ghz Pentium M and that will show 2x the performance. I know you'll be getting rid of your desktop like I did with my Thinkpad. They are truly the best laptops out there and I could take on anybody in a laptop debate when it comes to Thinkpads.

Word of advise on eBay laptop sales is be very very careful. I would recommend buying a S or 4 claim thinkpad since they come with a IBM warranty and they also come close to brand new condition (S claim is brand new where 4 is near new). You will be paying a good price for them (around 600-800), but that assures you to have a brand new quality with a warranty to fall back on. The choice is yours...

I'll search further into the TPM 98se compatibility since it's the last thing that makes the T42 series fully compatible with 98se. IBM fully certified these laptops for 98se back when they were selling them and I know they had the TPM driver available, sadly Lenovo is hiding them. I'll keep you posted if I have any luck.

Hope I was able to help you out on this! :thumbup

Edited by Springdale