System Center Configuration Manager 2007 SP1

hi all,

i've been busy setting up SCCM 2007 SP1 in Windows 2008 and now that i've got it installed and working i thought i'd share with you how that was done, it wasn't exactly straightforward so i've documented all the steps I took from installation right through to configuration.

This guide assumes that you have first setup Windows Server 2008 and configured it for Active Directory, with DHCP (you only need steps 1 and 2 of this guide), installed and configured IIS (for SCCM) and installed SQL Server 2005 and WSUS.

Once you have completed the requirements listed above, you have to install SCCM and that will involve fixing any prerequisite checks and proceeding with the installation itself.

Next you have to go through a fairly lengthy configuration process for SCCM, I've broken that down into three parts below:-

Part 1 > SCCM 2007 SP1 configuration guide

The guide covers:-

Adding SCCM computer account to SMS groups, setting site boundries and verifying the site name is configured for Active Directory and setting and configuring the site system roles.

Part 2 > SCCM 2007 SP1 configuration guide

Configuring the Distribution Point (DP) and the Management Point (MP), adding Authoring rules in WebDav and changing WebDav settings, making sure the System Management container in Active Directory has the correct permissions for SCCM, checking and fixing errors in SCCM System Status.

Part 3 > SCCM 2007 SP1 configuration guide

Configuring the Client Agents, setting up client installation methods and configuring discovery methods.

I hope that some of you find the quide useful,

if I get time I will update the guide and include how to deploy an application in SCCM 2007 plus using the OSD feature in SCCM to deploy Windows Vista SP1 using Zero Touch.

cheers

anyweb

Edited by anyweb

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

greetings again,

i've been updating some more and have now added the following parts (more to come)

how can I deploy Windows Vista SP1 using SCCM 2007 SP1, Part 1.

This covers the following:-

Configuring MDT, PXE and SCCM to get them prepared for Vista Deployment via PXE boot..

Creating a New Collection in SCCM 2007

Creating a Package From Definition to deploy the SCCM 2007 client

Create and Update Distribution Points

how can I deploy Windows Vista SP1 using SCCM 2007 SP1, part 2.

Adding 32 bit and 64 bit boot.wim files

Customise the background Logo

Create new Distribution Points and Update them for the boot.wim files

how can I deploy Windows Vista SP1 using SCCM 2007 SP1, part 3.

Add New operating system image

Create Distribution Point for the Image

Add new Operating System Install Package

Drivers and Driver packages

how can I deploy Windows Vista SP1 using SCCM 2007 SP1, part 4.

Create new Task Sequence

Assigning the Task Sequence to a collection

how can I deploy Windows Vista SP1 using SCCM 2007 SP1, part 5.

Importing a MDT Task Sequence

MDT Package

sysprep Package

Add Build and Capture Computer

PXE boot the client computer now to test the OSD build.

how can I deploy Windows Vista SP1 using SCCM 2007 SP1, part 6.

Add captured image to SCCM

Create a collection

Advertise the Deployment Task Sequence

Create Computer Association

and that's it ! if you followed all the above you'll be able to deploy Windows Vista SP1 using SCCM 2007 sp1 !

well done !

Edited by anyweb

• 2 weeks later...

hi again

i've now added the following guides for you

how can I troubleshoot Windows PE booting in SCCM

and how to deploy Windows Server 2008 using SCCM 2007 SP1 (3 parts).

how can I deploy Windows Server 2008 using SCCM 2007 sp1 - part 1.

how can I deploy Windows Server 2008 using SCCM 2007 sp1 - part 2.

how can I deploy Windows Server 2008 using SCCM 2007 sp1 - part 3.

are any of you using this technology ? any problems ? comments and suggestions welcome

cheers

anyweb

Edited by anyweb

• 3 months later...

Man, I shall be worshiping this thread like a guilded calf. We have a meeting next Monday to discuss implementing this in our IT shop. And if you all wouldn't mind my inquiring, would SCCM help us with the following items of interest? Some I hope you all may have an answer to, others I'll have to troll for myself. Thanks in advance!

1. Can we eliminate tools and annual cost for (include annual savings of each):

a. Dameware

b. Altris

c. IPMonitor

d. Ghost

2. Does it have wake on LAN and PC hibernate/powersave functionality that is proven to work at our logout screen

a. What’s the potential power reduction savings assuming we could do this with 4000 of our 7500 PCs (Thin Client, Fat Client)

b. Can these PCs affected and excluded be done using AD OUs?

3. Does it have ability to set PC back to fixed state at re-boot (in other words if someone downloads to a PC and then PC is re-booted does PC go back to original state without the software that was downloaded?)

4. Will our cost be less if we determine we can not use Virtualization Mgmt and/or Data Protection Mgr?

5. I can’t tell from pricing if Systems Center Server Suite is just these 2 components (VM and DPM) or more? Please define components of SCSS and opt-in/out for pricing

6. Does Systems Ctr have ability to inventory PCs – age, processor, RAM, etc. – so IT can inform Divisions about the # of PCs they should be replacing during the next Fiscal Year

7. Can Systems Center be used to send a broadcast message to all PCs connected to the network and this broadcast capability be limited to Domain Admins

(for example I don’t want to have UPS have died warning messages like we used to have years ago)

a. Is the broadcast limited to domain authenticated connected PCs

b. Can the broadcast go to all computers with UAMS IP, excluding Wireless Guest Network (and including as well)? I’m specifically concerned about Macs and Linux PCs that do not log into the domain

Edited by ButlerKevinD

• 5 months later...

Thank you for your step by step guides. It is very helpful. I have a few quick questions and I was hoping someone can help me out.

Does the WDS Service need to be installed on a Site Server (SCCM box)?

We wanted to put the WDS Service along with DHCP on the same server that will be different from our SCCM servers.

I noticed in your guides, that you have all the services running on the same box, however in our environment (we're a large school district with about 15k computers and 48 sites on different networks) we weren't sure how to configure our PXE service points and WDS. And all the documentation i've found doesn't really explain too much.

So for use with the ammount of computers and subnets we have, do we need to deploy PXE Service points and WDS services at all our sites? If not, how would the site computers know to get addressing from the local DHCP server and not flush out our main DHCP server? Is that what the DHCP helper files do? Do they point the computer's to correct DHCP server at the sites?

Sorry if i'm not too clear, still trying to figure this whole pxe booting out. We used to have LANDesk and it was really easy to do PXE booting, just sent a PXE Rep out to the sites and they were PXE booting instantly. With SCCM it seems way more involved.

Thanks again, I hope someone could point me in the right direction.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for your step by step guides. It is very helpful. I have a few quick questions and I was hoping someone can help me out.

Does the WDS Service need to be installed on a Site Server (SCCM box)?

We wanted to put the WDS Service along with DHCP on the same server that will be different from our SCCM servers.

I noticed in your guides, that you have all the services running on the same box, however in our environment (we're a large school district with about 15k computers and 48 sites on different networks) we weren't sure how to configure our PXE service points and WDS. And all the documentation i've found doesn't really explain too much.

So for use with the ammount of computers and subnets we have, do we need to deploy PXE Service points and WDS services at all our sites? If not, how would the site computers know to get addressing from the local DHCP server and not flush out our main DHCP server? Is that what the DHCP helper files do? Do they point the computer's to correct DHCP server at the sites?

Sorry if i'm not too clear, still trying to figure this whole pxe booting out. We used to have LANDesk and it was really easy to do PXE booting, just sent a PXE Rep out to the sites and they were PXE booting instantly. With SCCM it seems way more involved.

Thanks again, I hope someone could point me in the right direction.

in my guides, i've had the roles all together but that's just for a lab environment, in production you can separate the roles, see this post for some info about that, I'd suggest you start reading Technet to get an idea of how your subnets can work with SCCM,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680397.aspx

cheers

anyweb

Man, I shall be worshiping this thread like a guilded calf. We have a meeting next Monday to discuss implementing this in our IT shop. And if you all wouldn't mind my inquiring, would SCCM help us with the following items of interest? Some I hope you all may have an answer to, others I'll have to troll for myself. Thanks in advance!

1. Can we eliminate tools and annual cost for (include annual savings of each):

a. Dameware

b. Altris

c. IPMonitor

d. Ghost

2. Does it have wake on LAN and PC hibernate/powersave functionality that is proven to work at our logout screen

a. What’s the potential power reduction savings assuming we could do this with 4000 of our 7500 PCs (Thin Client, Fat Client)

b. Can these PCs affected and excluded be done using AD OUs?

3. Does it have ability to set PC back to fixed state at re-boot (in other words if someone downloads to a PC and then PC is re-booted does PC go back to original state without the software that was downloaded?)

4. Will our cost be less if we determine we can not use Virtualization Mgmt and/or Data Protection Mgr?

5. I can’t tell from pricing if Systems Center Server Suite is just these 2 components (VM and DPM) or more? Please define components of SCSS and opt-in/out for pricing

6. Does Systems Ctr have ability to inventory PCs – age, processor, RAM, etc. – so IT can inform Divisions about the # of PCs they should be replacing during the next Fiscal Year

7. Can Systems Center be used to send a broadcast message to all PCs connected to the network and this broadcast capability be limited to Domain Admins

(for example I don’t want to have UPS have died warning messages like we used to have years ago)

a. Is the broadcast limited to domain authenticated connected PCs

b. Can the broadcast go to all computers with UAMS IP, excluding Wireless Guest Network (and including as well)? I’m specifically concerned about Macs and Linux PCs that do not log into the domain

sorry for the delay in replying, i've been busy.

i'll try and answer some of your questions, as to your questions:

1. i'd say yes, pretty much, but you'll have to test/verify this, Microsoft offer a VHD of the SCCM 2007 r2 release, test it, it's free to test, but in reality you\ll want to setup a real lab and test it in steps (sccm is huge)

2. wake on lan yes, hibernate ? don't know, but if you can script something then yes via software distribution (packages)

a. no idea, b yes

3. no, but you can re-image via pxe, slower but can achieve same thing, almost...

4. ask your Microsoft rep

5. as above

6. yes, absolutely

7. there isn't a feature to broadcast messages per se, but you can advertise a package containing anything you want, to any computers that you define in a collection

b. as above, expect linux/mac pcs have to be managed with the addition of a plugin for SCCM via Quest