wininet error messages galore/ IE other prog's don't work

bootless

Howdy,

Running WIN98SE> I have all the updates using autopatcher. (awesome proggie for making it easy!)

I am using Firefox on my PC now, IE does not work. I can use my d.l. manager too so connection is not an issue.

However, now Firefox does crash as error message pops up with errror message "Wm.exe""

Starting from the beginning-

The first error message I got was-

"Explorer caused an exception at C0000006H in module Wininet"

I clicked OK and screen went blank. No access to anything except reboot button.

I tried to reboot, got all the way to desktop but then got same message as above, clicked OK and screen goes blank again.

So, I got out google on another PC and put in my error and got this which is almost an exact error message but no real help for me-

http://www.nocrash.com/ncbbs/msgs/3460.shtml

Then I found this page-

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=160158

I did this part using DOS-

cd \windows

smartdrv

deltree tempor~1

deltree history

I got confirmation message for delete so it worked.

So, I then I did the part "ren wininet.dll to wininet.old" hit cntrl alt dlete, and rebooted and I was able to boot into my desktop again.

I extracted the original wininet.dll from my WIN98SE CD and put it in Windows\System folder and rebooted. Got back into my desktop no problem. I was getting happy. Short lived.

Now, I found I lost the associations with my .exe files. No programs will run except for Firefox, which I am using now.

Windows Media Player won't run, IE 6.0 won't run and I can't reinstall it and "repair" option does not work either, actually I can't reinstall anything because I keep getting the error message-

"error creating process.......system cannot find specified file."

(The file is right where it should be so probably the association issue here?)

and

"The file wininet.dll cannot be found"

I.E. will open with no error message but it is a blank window with no url in address. I can't go anywhere with it.

So, I looked in my system folder saw 2 files with same name, Wininet.dll and wininet.dll.

I went back into DOS and did the part "ren Wininet.dll to Wininet.old" hit cntrl alt dlete, and rebooted and I was able to boot into my desktop again. Still couldn't run any programs as now the error message said it was missing WININET.DLL.

So, I went into System folder and renamed Wininet.old to Wininet.dll and rebooted. Got back into desktop but same problems exist. Can't run any programs.

Maybe because I didn't re register the 2 wininet.dll's after rebooting? Not sure.

So, I have exhausted google for ideas and I am posting looking for others wisdom since I can't seem to fix it myself.

thanks folks!

That's probably because you had IE6 installed. My advice is to install latest IE6SP1 cumulative update; if you can't install it, extract it and replace dlls in \windows\system with dlls from it.

It installed with just 1 error message, "iuctl.dll did not install".

But, no change with anything, same issues all the way around.

I tried opening a program, I got error message "wininet.dll not found".

Maybe I should re register the dll.

Forgot how to do this, is it regsrvr32<wininet.dll>?

thanks.

Hi Bootless.

I'm no expert on the Patched Win98, but I too was experiencing the same problems as you've mentiioned last week. I uninstalled Firefox, then rolled back Internet Explorer to the 5.5 version via Add/Remove Programs. Choose uninstall. I then tried to reinstall IE 6 with SP1 but it refused to complete the deal. I put that down to the various unofficial patches and changes from here. For a couple of days I had really smooth surfing, so good that I almost posted on here but realised that was because 5.5 IE was wide open to security risks.

Finally I decided to reinstall that latest full unofficial install of Win 98 from 30 June 2008, the one with the whistles and bells and about 250Mb in size. IE 6 SP 1 reinstalled and bar one or two bugs with Flash Player everythings functioning real fine except

However I still can't download a number of programs because I get the message: "This program will only function on a Unicode system. I've tried reinstalling UNICOW.EXE but the version already installed won't allow it to update. Tried deleting the old unicow.dll but only get ÄCCESS DENIED. Don't think this has anything to do with the IE and Firefox problem just another bug perhaps the magic workers on here will provide some solution so I can install a couple of XP based programs that the Latest Software working with Win 98SE says I can get to work. It's possible the original Unicows.dll is corrupted or damaged.

Give it a try or better still let these guys on here work on the problem.

OK. I rolled back I.E. and it appears I got to 6.0.2600.000IS.

Again I became bootless and i had to rename Wininet.dll AND wininet.dll to get back to my desktop.

I can't remove Firefox just yet sicne then I will have no access to post.

My associations came back somewhat, the incons are correct but when I attempt to open up a program it says wininet.dll is missing which it is.

Can someone tell me how to re register a dll please? I think that might help out, maybe I am wrong.

I remember now the 2 things I did before all this happened were upgrade flash and reset my winsock.

Maybe resetting winsock screwed up wininet? Any ideas if that is possible?

Lastly, I am getting an error message in I.E. now it says,

"invalid syntax error"

Seems better then before since before there was no error message at all just a blank window.

thanks.

Edited by bootless

I found this in the runonce log-

------------------

Date: 08/28/2008 (mm/dd/yyyy) Time: 22:15:46 (hh:mm:ss)

Section:500

File:wininet.dll; Function:DllInstall; Args:i,HKLM; Action:DllInstall()

Unable to call the function "DllInstall" in the file "wininet.dll" because that function does not exist or is not exported.

File:urlmon.dll; Function:DllInstall; Args:i,HKLM; Action:DllInstall()

Unable to call the function "DllInstall" in the file "urlmon.dll" because that function does not exist or is not exported.

File:C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msdxm.ocx; Function:DllRegisterServer; Args:; Action:DllRegisterServer()

Date: 08/28/2008 (mm/dd/yyyy) Time: 22:15:50 (hh:mm:ss)

Dependency DLL unloaded: wininet.dll

Dependency DLL unloaded: urlmon.dll

-------------

Aalso, I checked the version numbers of the 2 wininet.dll in my system folder

this one wininet.dll is 6.00.2800.1603

this one Wininet.dll is 4.70.1215

In DOS they have the same name or wininet.dll. Not sure if this is of any help or irrelevant.

Lastly, when attempting to run a program I get the message,

"a device attached to the system is not functioning".

But, in properties of My Computer all the devices are working properly, none with a "?".

Dencorso, thanks for the register info.

I can't register the dll, I get this error message-

"Get last error returns 0X00000002"

thanks!

I just found this post-

http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t89077.html

"The problem with just manually replacing files like you did, is as shown by this next screenshot of just the HKLM tab changes made by the install, that any of these ActiveX Compatibility registry entries that are also installed/needed for 925454, you are not getting them unless you had applied your own reg fix, otherwise if anything there points to any of the dlls then your new dll's references go nowhere."

This seems to be my problem too, correct?

Edited by bootless

I mentioned to roll back to IE 5.5 not another IE6.

Try downloading Winsockfix tool to register and unregister dlls. You'll need to check that the version supports Win 98. I believe, but not certain, the latest version supports XP upwards.

keithwj,

I forgot to mention that after the last rollback I no longer have the Microsoft Internet Explorer line in Add/Remove programs. Ain't that a bear. What to do now?

It might be that in my registry the value where wininet is supposed to be that links to other programs is missing. Isn't that why all the programs say it's missing?

This is extremely frustrating.

Lastly, when attempting to run a program I get the message,

"a device attached to the system is not functioning".

This is a misleading error message. It means that a DLL function dependency was not met. It is usually accompanied by an error message noting the function it didn't find in which DLL.