Oscillating cam images

MageJubi

Two different brand cams (inexpensive outdoor IR) with similar problems--the image sways side to side similar to fields of grass in a light breeze as seen in video games--but very methodical looking. I suspect there's an issue with the synchronization of the cams TV lines, and what the computer reads. (But I'm not sure, hence the post) The oscillation is very slight--but can make one seasick if you watch the cam long enough. :puke: Some folks don't notice it while watching in real time--but it shows up real bad in my time lapses. The cams are on my weather site, and need to have as stable of an image as possible to be worth more than two dead flies. Is there a cure for the image swaying? Is there software available for such situations? I web searched "image synchronization" among various entries, but came up empty on this particular issue. Ideas? Thanks.

i'm almost dead positive that it's interference from an AC power cable in the wall or something near the wall. i can't remember exactly where i saw it before though, i think it was at my school when we replaced an old dying TV, we rewired it and there were moving lines caused be electrical interference to both inputs. (its a 9 channel TV switcher with the worst rats nest behind it you'll ever see).

Thanks for the quick responses. I didn't mention cam or card brands, as there have been a few over the years. Only a couple cams exhibited this behavior. The cams range from Stardot, Swann, Apec, and Atrix, and the cards have been either Avermedia, or Apollo. But, thanks to something you brought up, I believe the issue is resolved. You mentioned the length of cable. It's one of the 66 ft rigs with vid/power cable in one that came with the Apec. The cam lists power usage at 120ma in the day. and 300ma to 500ma at night due to IR lights. My power pack is 500ma. Your comment on wire length made me think that extra power may be needed at that distance, so I broke out an old 1A power pack to try. The image wasn't so bad during the day, but tonight when the IR's kicked in, things got to swaying pretty good--and really bad if the proc amp was accessed. Plugged the 1 amp in, and the rolling and swaying all but stopped. I had problems with interference a couple years back, but relocated a few things and took care of that problem (REAL bad with wireless cam and rat's nest). This wasn't really distortion as much as a visual assault. In a 640x480 image it looked like every half inch of it top to bottom, was one band sliding right, while the next one down was going left, and so forth. Reminded me of some of the lsd days in the late 60's with stuff swirling back and forth. :whistle: Anyway, thanks again.