Better looking text

Hitterman

Here is a way to improve way the text looks.

Go to Control Panel>Display then Appearance tab now click on effects button and make sure that the checkbox with label "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts" is ticked and select Clear Type from the drop down menu. Now you can experience the difference when browsing web etc.

Cleartype and similar was introduced many years ago as was xp x86, this isnt exactly news.

You might try instead to download that vista rtm fonts package and then the vista rtm fonts fix registry, which sets the segui as standard font.

So you can use vista fonts on xp.

Edited by TranceEnergy

You might try instead to download that vista rtm fonts package and then the vista rtm fonts fix registry, which sets the segui as standard font.

So you can use vista fonts on xp.

I can't remember where I downloaded Segoe UI (a few months ago). I've installed it but I have to change the font manually through the Display Properties. It seems that the pack you mentioned is a different pack to me. TranceEnergy, where can I download this font package? Can you give the link, please? Thanks for the coming reply.

I'm not sure if this is what i used, because i unpacked the fonts and made my own silent installer with fontinst.exe instead, and run it as a silent installer, because i dont like using nlite addons (i like using nlite only for integrating hotfixes, nothing else so i can use same windows on several systems).

http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=615

Then there's the vista rtm fonts fix, but i would recommend you checkout what it really does.

I have found that using Segui ui font for notepad really screws things up,

http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/09/26/fix-wi...s-vistas-fonts/

Edit: longer down on same page i saw a guy had made a reverse back fix registry, i'd check if it was proper default settings in there, but i cant atm.

http://www.techlifeweb.com/vista/2006/10/r...a-font-fix.html

post-91607-1220400485_thumb.png

See here on this picture that the word "slow" takes more 'space' then "fast". Very annoying if working with files where you need to get quick overview.

Now i am aware a lot of fonts and with certain words this issue will happen anyway probably, but i didnt ever notice that f.ex one with with 100 chars could be seen as

"bigger" then a line with 110 chars. So be aware of using segui or any other font as a substitute for other fonts.

It would be a good idea to have a backup of the registry entries that this vistafontfix.reg uses, i definitively want that, so maybe remember to make that from a vmware install.

Edited by TranceEnergy

TranceEnergy, thanks for all the links. I downloaded Ricks_VistaRTMFonts. The fonts in this pack have the same version as those of the fonts I've already got. But most of them are bigger in size, not much bigger however. I don't know how to use the Configuration Settings file (Entries_Vista_RTM_Fonts) because I don't use nLite. To tell you the truth, I don't know what an "nLite" is although I hear about it a lot!

VistaFontFix is exactly what MrCobra gave me in another thread. I'll try to find an appropriate font to use with Notepad and EditPad in replacing for the missing Tahoma. And thanks again for the link of Reversefontfix. This will help me to restore the registry in case I don't like to use the font fix any more. Bye for now!

PS. Don't give me so many links next time, TranceEnergy! It'll take me so much time to read and I am afraid I'll fall asleep halfway!

Lol!

I read 1500 words per minute xD You can learn reading skills with a kick a** program called Eye-iQ i think it was, i spent a lot of time on it a couple of years back.

It will make your brain go in high gear for sure!

Also great for FPS mind training, you will be timing items like a swiss clock in no time! =D

PS: i havent checked out what the entries in the vista rtm fonts pack was, will do a compare later on.

TranceEnergy, I stop by just to let you know my problem has been solved. You don't need to download the pack again to see the file.

I read 1500 words per minute
These words remind me of the game called Bookworm! In fact, I don't mind reading a lot, as long as what I read must be interesting. And it's better if it has colourful pictures in it. The more, the better! Many times I've tried to enlarge my knowlege about computer by going to this forum and reading all the posts. Many times I've failed! Why? Because whenever I click on a topic and then find that it has a lot of code boxes which I have to scroll down and down, I run away immediately!

It's interesting talking to you, TranceEnergy. And ... where is Hitterman? Thank you for posting the way to improve the text looks!