Login another account without loging out current account

winderaim

Well actually...

The answer is "sort of". Since Windows Server 2003 has remote desktop, and supports multiple terminal services sessions, and since TS is what Fast User Switching relies on, it is possible to sign onto another account by disconnecting your session rather than logging out, and then logging into another account. Just run tsdiscon from the run box. I am pretty sure this works.

Well actually...

The answer is "sort of". Since Windows Server 2003 has remote desktop, and supports multiple terminal services sessions, and since TS is what Fast User Switching relies on, it is possible to sign onto another account by disconnecting your session rather than logging out, and then logging into another account. Just run tsdiscon from the run box. I am pretty sure this works.

I see. But if i run tsdiscon on current logged in account, will the programs that are running, be terminated/suspended while i log into another account?

Lets say my account A is running programs but i had to run tsdiscon on account A in order to log into account B.

Will my programs on account A be terminated/suspended after i run tsdiscon?

Edited by winderaim

In my experience using tsdiscon on XP, everything keeps running in the background. I don't use Windows Server as often, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't. You're just disconnecting the session, not suspending it or ending it, so it ought to work. You could test that by playing some music or something and seeing if it keeps playing when you disconnect.

By the way, i tried running tsdiscon on win server 2003, what it did is to lock computer. I tried logging in to other acc, i can't but only current logged in account or administrator be able to log in. If i log in administrator, it will force to log off the current logged in account.

Sorry to disappoint you but this isn't what i want.

Let me rephrase the help i needed. I would like to be able to log in to another account without logging out the current account that is still on or running. Anyone?

Again, AFAIK not possible... lacks the support and was not designed for it. I suppose someone may be able to "fiddle" with swapping some modules from XP, but I doubt it.

Tha main objective of a Server is to Serve. AFAIK, a given user logs on to administer and/or operate (depending on it's purpose) it for access by the User community and it will do no more than act as a server. XP is not a Server system, rather a User system. That may be the reason you can get away with the method proposed in the previous post (on XP) but not on your system (a Server). "Fast User Switching" didn't even appear until XP. It didn't even exist on W2K-Pro (precursor to XP-Pro, the big brother of XP-Home). It's intentionally not there (partly) for the Security of the Server.

I can't really remember if Linux allows simultaneous logons onto a single machine (as you describe), but definitely not on Windows.

Besides, why would you want to do that anyway? Rationale, please?

And comments anyone on my above assertions?

Edited by submix8c

Linux allows simultaneous logons onto a single machine just like Windows XP. But it is not user friendly as installation, like IIS, need to be done by typing which quite troublesome.

I had a few programs that is running on the server that sometimes needs to reactivate when they jam. I won't be free the whole day to take care of the server, so instead i ask some people to take care of it when i'm not around. So i also create a user account to run these program. Since i had set the user account only able to read and excute, I won't be able to modify the files. And so when I need to modify some files, i ought to log out and log in as administrator in order to modify the files. But i need to programs to be running while i edit the required files.

What can i do about this?

Trust my helpers while creating an account to has full control? But i don't want him/her to edit or touch the files in server since he/she only has to reactivate the programs when jam.

Let me know if any part of my situation isn't clear.

Edited by winderaim

Only other thing I can think of is Remote Desktop (can be used on a LAN as well) and log on from another computer to correct whatever needs corrected. I believe this facility is on Windows Server (2k3 and up). It will allow a user on the Server to have restricted access and you (via another PC) to have full access. Need to ensure it's setup on the server; just don't remember all the requirements etc. Theoretically, this can be done via an XP and up (don't know about previous versions or if Home is ok too).