How to limit multi-device driver to fewer devices?

Shardis

Hello,

Trying to add drivers to install CD for first time and understand methods involved but unsure how to deal with special case. I have two computers with nvidia-chipset motherboards and nvidia graphic cards but are several years apart on when they were built. The drivers for both motherboard and graphics card (from the nvidia website) are designed to be used with a wide range of devices. However, the most recent driver is not always the best for a given device (especially for older graphic cards). If I just tried adding both drivers as-is, I figure the newer driver would be used for the older device even though the older driver would be better. So I was wondering how to limit a multi-device driver to only qualify for a smaller range of devices?

I am guessing it somehow involves modifying the inf file for the driver, but if so I don't know what values I should be changing? If that is not the case, would I be looking at creating a batch file to somehow determine the device and then make the more appropriate of the 2 drivers available?

http://www.msfn.org/board/Modify-your-drivers-t16222.html

PNP use HardwareID and ranking to select drivers.

Driver signing and date set ranking.

edit new *.inf.

Driver is not signed anymore.

Different approaches:

comment CatalogFile

[Version]
;CatalogFile = signed.cat

comment old HardwareID's

[Nvidia]
; DisplayName Section DeviceID
;%NVENETFD.DeviceDesc% = NVENETFD1.NDI, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01C3
;%NVENETFD.DeviceDesc% = NVENETFD1.NDI, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0066
;%NVENETFD.DeviceDesc% = NVENETFD3.NDI, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0086

comment DriverVer

[version]
;DriverVer = 07/11/2007, 67.5.3

Thanks, that post by jdeboeck was exactly the info I was looking for.

Will be too bad losing the driver signing given some of the issues I have read about unsigned drivers during install, but if I combine the info from those threads with the info in jdeboeck's I should be good.