HELP: User Profile Path

andrewwan1980

In Computer Management, Local Users & Groups, in the Profile TAB we can set:

- User Profile Path

- Home Folder Local Path

Am wondering does anyone know how to use these?

I copied my entire HARD DISK contents (via BartPE so I get full unlimited access) to a remote PC. I then fresh reinstalled Windows XP SP2 on my PC as well as creating a second partition for personal data files. Then I copied backed up "C:\Document and Settings\" entire folder from the remote PC to my second partition data drive.

I have 3 user accounts to setup. I understand & know how to redirect My Documents folder (via right-click properties). But am interested in actually setting - User Profile Path - Home Folder Local Path - but don't know how to use them.

I have only used these features on a Win Server2k3 domain with roaming profiles so I'm not 100%h ow it goes on a local computer (but I assume it the same). Personally I don't think its a very good way to go unless you want this data on separate physical harddrives. Their is no advantage to using a separate partition for user files (other than your own organisational desires).

The User profile path I'm fairly sure needs to be a file share in the form "\\computer_name\share_name" the variable %username% is allowable. Then you will get the usual contents of \Documents and Settings\<username> saved to the specified fileshare instead (I think you need to also make the fileshare, you need to make sure the user has the correct permissions).

I use Home drive to allocate space on the server for personal but also shared use. I have a server fileshare mapped to Z:. Users also still have their own My Documents (which can either be part of their profile or in my case redirected to another place - this is to reduce login times). In my setup all users have exclusive full control access to their My Docs and exclusive write/delete access to their Z: drive. All other users have read only access to other's Z: drives. This makes sharing info between users easy without them needing to physically move data (via USB etc) or use email and means they remain in control of their original data

I should've used the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard.. but it's too late now. I already copied my old PC entire harddrive and then wiped it clean. So am wondering is it possible to export/migrate these old PC user profiles into my new PC?

I believe things like Outlook Express, MSN Messenger, and many other Microsoft programs uses GUIDs or security IDs... and the files are encrypted or cannot be opened unless it matches the user account's security ID.

I did a search on http://support.microsoft.com/ for "Windows XP User Profile". Some interesting ones are http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307800 & http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151/ .

I tried the User Profile Path (1st link) for this is what I get:

"Windows did not load your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you logoff. Windows did not load your profile because a server copy of the profile folder already exists that does not have the correct security. Either the current user or the Administrator's group must be the owner of the folder. Contact your network administrator."

"Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off."

I should've used the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard.. but it's too late now. I already copied my old PC entire harddrive and then wiped it clean. So am wondering is it possible to export/migrate these old PC user profiles into my new PC?

I believe things like Outlook Express, MSN Messenger, and many other Microsoft programs uses GUIDs or security IDs... and the files are encrypted or cannot be opened unless it matches the user account's security ID.

I don't use MSOE so I can't comment on that. My experience with other programs (Thunderbird, Firefox, older versions of MSN Messenger etc) and their data and settings has been that if you copy the data from C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data (assuming C:\ is your system drive) from your old install over the top of your new install everything works fine. Some programs (I think MSN Messenger may have been one?) will not transfer your password across but in my experience all other data transfers fine, although you may lose some program settings if they were stored in registry or their respective Program Files folders (or elsewhere such as its own folder in Docs & Settings or My Docs). This is one of the reasons I love Mozilla apps - all personal customisations, data & settings are stored in the App Data folder.

However, if the data was encrypted on the old drive then you may well have huge dramas! I think it may be able to be cracked but I have no experience with it and I can guarantee it will be long and painful!

I did a search on http://support.microsoft.com/ for "Windows XP User Profile". Some interesting ones are http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307800 & http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151/ .

I tried the User Profile Path (1st link) for this is what I get:

"Windows did not load your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you logoff. Windows did not load your profile because a server copy of the profile folder already exists that does not have the correct security. Either the current user or the Administrator's group must be the owner of the folder. Contact your network administrator."

"Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off."

I think this is probably not a good way to do what you want. It seems pretty clear to me that these functions are specifically aimed at domain use with roaming profiles. I think its probably not worth continuing in that direction. I would download something like TweakUI if you wish to change the location of system folders. You can do it other ways or even tweak the registry directly but I've found TweakUI the easiest, most foolproof way. It also gives you access to some other things you can't normally do easily by default. And best of all its free!

However, if you enjoy the learning and/or are hellbent on persevering in this direction here are some suggestions... Did you make sure that your file share was set with the correct permissions and was accessible? To do this properly you need to have Simple Filesharing disabled. Perhaps another way to go would be rather than use the local computer name when directing to the share, try using \\127.0.0.1\ (loopback address) instead. To test that your file share is created properly, open My Computer and select the address bar (if isn't visable, either enable it in the options or even easier, use IE instead). Type this in the address bar: "\\127.0.0.1\sharename\username" (without quotes - where sharename is the name of the fileshare and username is the user's name) and press <enter>. If all is well then it should open the contents of the folder you set. If you are logged in as the user that you wish to use then try creating a new folder. If that fails chances are your permissions are set wrong.

Edited by JedMeister