help, i can't get my Ethernet to work on XP

Dblake1

hi, i have two computers: one which i am using to write this msg, and one for the "home computer". the computer that i am using has Windows Vista Ultimate x86. the Ethernet worked with no problem on this computer. But, when i insert the Ethernet cable into the other Windows XP Pro computer, it stops at "Renewing your IP Address...", and the internet will not work. anything i'm doing wrong?

Edited by Dblake1

Off-the-wall possibility...

Try turning off/unplugging the Cable/DSL modem (assuming that's what you have and no router) for about 20 seconds, then turn on/plug in.

Not sure why it happens (not an expert by any means), but this has occurred with me before and that's what I did to correct it. It appears to "force" the modem to accept a new NIC with a different MAC address (clears its "brains").

Or... maybe (?) a dirty contact in the other PC's NIC.

HTH

I'd further submix8c and confirm that some cable/dsl modems need to be power cycled before you can't connect to them using another computer because they seem to tie themselves to a PC's MAC Address.

because they seem to tie themselves to a PC's MAC Address.

Loads of them do (cable modems at least, never had DSL), and unfortunately it sometimes isn't enough to power cycle them (I could power cycle mine a hundreds times, and it still wouldn't hand out an IP to another box). Sometimes you have to ipconfig /release before you unplug the first PC for it to even work with the second (that, or give them a call, wait a half hour online, and get a tech to authorize your new MAC address every single time).

A router would very easily solve this (plug as many PCs in it as you want, no issues whatsoever).

• 2 weeks later...