Asus Eee PC and Windows 9x.

Sfor

In theory the NDIS driver setup procedure should add a correct AUTOEXEC.BAT entry by itself.

If nothing went wrong, there should be a "C:\WINDOWS\net start" entry in the AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Yes, it added "C:\WINDOWS\net start" to AUTOEXEC.BAT, but networking did not work

The next thing to check would be:

- Is there a "Atheros L2 Fast Ethernet Adapter" entry present in the Device Manager?

- There should be also one or two PCI Ethernet Controller entries present in the Device manager. They should be marked as switched off, or without a correct driver installed. If they are missing it means network card is disabled in the BIOS settings.

- What is the contents of the protocol.ini file in the WINDOWS directory?

The next thing to check would be:

- Is there a "Atheros L2 Fast Ethernet Adapter" entry present in the Device Manager?

- There should be also one or two PCI Ethernet Controller entries present in the Device manager. They should be marked as switched off, or without a correct driver installed. If they are missing it means network card is disabled in the BIOS settings.

- What is the contents of the protocol.ini file in the WINDOWS directory?

Sorry to advise that I cannot check it at the moment. I have installed Ubuntu to the eeepc as I urgently need it to work properly for my coming trips. I shall play with Win98 again after the trips - maybe around July

Thank you for your help

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone tried looking at the Linux drivers and used the Win98SE driver kit that was posted in these forums awhile ago, to see if building better drivers was possible? I'd do it myself, only I am not a coder. :(

--iWindoze

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone tried looking at the Linux drivers and used the Win98SE driver kit that was posted in these forums awhile ago, to see if building better drivers was possible? I'd do it myself, only I am not a coder. :(

--iWindoze

What particular driver kit do you have on your mind?

Also, I've noticed the DOS mode Ethernet driver I've used so far has an importand disadvantage. When the CPU gets hoter, the network speed gets slower. Apparently, the CPU speed goes down, when it gets hoter. Since the DOS mode driver consumes a lot of CPU power, the network speed is affected as well. Funny thing is the problem is visible with the inbound traffic, only. The outbound traffic seems to be working as usual.

Edited by Sfor

Sfor, try to use eeectl and set the fan to 100%, while connected to AC power (or else it'll consume the battery charge quite fast). It may help. As far as I can establish, there are no missing dependencies for eeectl, so it probably run on Win 9x/ME, although it is not documented. Don't forget to set the fan back to native, before going back to battery power, though.

What particular driver kit do you have on your mind?

The one from MDGx's site: http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm (search for "Driver Development Kit (DDK)" which should take you to his hosted Win9x DDK, which could conceivably be useful to resurrecting Win9x on newer systems for someone who knows how to make good use of it...)

--iWindoze

Edited by iWindoze

Sfor, try to use eeectl and set the fan to 100%, while connected to AC power (or else it'll consume the battery charge quite fast). It may help. As far as I can establish, there are no missing dependencies for eeectl, so it probably run on Win 9x/ME, although it is not documented. Don't forget to set the fan back to native, before going back to battery power, though.

It doesn't seem to be working in my case. All I can see is something like an error message with just one word "Arial" in it. But, I did not try the KernelEX, yet.

Please, Sfor, before resorting to KernelEX, do profile eeectl with Dependency Walker (preferably v. 2.2.600). I cannot do it for you because I don't have an Eee PC handy at the moment and eeectl is hardware-specific. Of course it'll crash during the profiling, but you'll find out what is it it's missing.

• 2 months later...
Drivers:

Chipset + GPU : Intel 910 GML -> no win98 drivers !!! That's the main problem Bearwindows VESA drivers / SNAP graphics

Let's keep this thread alive... Sfor's back (welcome back, Sfor! :thumbup) so I expect to see things begining to happen here again. So here's some new, afaik, info. Way back when, Petr had found official drivers for the 915GM + ICH-6 chipset:
915GM + ICH-6 chipset.

This is officially supported in version 6.3.0.1007 of Intel INF Update Utility.

I've just checked, and version 6.3.0.1007 also supports the 910GML!!! :yes:

And here's a link for the official Touchpad drivers:Synaptics Drivers

And, please, Sfor, do consider my request in my previous post, about eeectl.

I've been using the Intel INF update utility 6.3.0.1007 for quite a time, already. There are no GPU drivers in it, but the chipset related drivers.

A BIOS version 10.06 was released. There were some changes to CPU fan speed functions and CPU temperature related events reporting functions. Still, I had no opportunity to test it yet, as I'm working with 09.06 BIOS version.

I've heard some older BIOS versions had an option to manually set fan speed and energy saving strategies.

My EEE PC 900 scored a whole year of service, just recently. Still, I see no suitable replacement candidate between the new models on the market. Looks like it is the only one below 1kg with SSD and screen resolution 1024x600.

I'm a bit busy with other projects, but I'll add the eeectl to the list.

It's great to have you around again, Sfor! :yes:

I've just updated a client's EeePC 900 BIOS with the 10.06 version. I favor using the traditional ASUS BIOS auto-update feature: first I put a copy of the BIOS file (renamed 900.ROM for the 900 or 701.ROM for the 4G) in a FAT-32 pendrive and, with it inserted and the PC connected to the battery charger, reboot and press <Alt><F2> on the 1st screen (the one that has the "Press <F2> ..." message) and the BIOS routine kicks in and does the BIOS update automagically. I think this is, by far, the safer and most reliable way to do it.

The Dependency Walker complains about APPHELP.DLL and USERENV.DLL files missing, after loading EeeCtl.

I have no experience with the Dependency Walker. So, it will take me some time to figure out more in this case.

Edited by Sfor

Sorry for not getting back to you any earlier, Sfor! :blushing:

No, the problems you've found up to now are false positives, I'm afraid. I'm so used to them that I forgot to tell you about them. But since, AFAIK, this is not documented elsewhere in these forums, here is a good occasion to do so:

They're due to the fact that most, if not all, of us are using IE6 SP1, and it uses .dlls that were written to work both in the 9x/ME family and in the NT-family of OSes. If you open, for instance, iexplor.exe in the Dependancy Walker, you'll will find those missing dependencies, too, and it works. AFAIK, that is due to the way browseui.dll, shlwapi.dll and shdocvw.dll were written: they have code that first checks whether those dependencies are satisfied, before calling for them. The known false positives are the following (you may not always see all of them):

Missing modules:

• APPHELP.DLL
  • USERENV.DLL
  • UXTHEME.DLL

Missing functions:

• CoWaitForMultipleHandles (in OLE32.DLL)
  • CoAllowSetForegroundWindow (in OLE32.DLL)
  • SHBindToParent (in SHELL32.DLL)
  • SHPathPrepareForWriteW (in SHELL32.DLL)

Hence, lots of programs that do work OK still have, in Dependency Walker message window, those two warnings:

"Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found."

"Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module."

So, please, have patience. Let's dig somewhat deeper: Once you load EeeCtl in Dependency Walker and it finishes its initial analysis, click on "Profile" (which is the 5th menu entry, just before "Window" and "Help"). Then click on "Start Profiling" and then on "OK". Dependency Walker will then try to run EeeCtl and give a lot of messages, till it aborts and ends. When Dependency Walker stops, highlight all the text in its message window, copy it and paste to Notepad, and save it as a .txt file. Then zip or 7z it and attach it (please, don't paste or quote it, because it's quite long) to your next reply. Then we can both analyse it. Just for comparison, and to provide you with a sample profile, I've just profiled EeeCtl in my A7V600-X machine, which, of course, is the wrong hardware, so that EeeCtl is expected to abort on it. The resulting profile is attached to this message, and it may be interesting to compare it with the one you'll obtain on the right hardware. Thank you very much for taking the time to follow up my suggestion. :thumbup I do hope it'll help us find a way to make EeeCtl run on Win 9x/ME.

eeectl_98se_on_wrong_hardware.7z