About Registry Tweaks: How to compare and export?

Happy-Dude

Heya guys !!

So, ask you all should know, power users LOOOVVEEE customizing their computers to suite their needs. I sure do.

Every new computer, there are always registry tweaks.

However, I would wish to make an add-on, or at least a .REG or .INF file that contains all my tweaks so I can run it once everything is set.

Problem is, I have no clue how to do this.

Sure, there have been threads, like this one http://www.msfn.org/board/How-can-I-reprod...gs-t122220.html . But practically none of them explain the complete steps on carry it out.

My request: may someone walk me through the best method of making a custom .REG/ .INF file that contains all my post-application/post-nLite tweaks?

**I believe the most simplest way is using X-Setup right after Windows Setup is completed. Thus, I think it would be best for me to follow a method using this program. Can someone please explain it to me? And afterwards, how do I make a .REG or .INF file out of it?

Perhaps someone can help me make an add-on once I have all my tweaks together?

Thanks a lot guys !! I really appreciate it :) !!

Okay let's do it!

edit: ill rewrite this when i have a moment and post pictures and some nice tips etc, im currently overclocking in a new build, and need to get that right first.

Supertip: take newest version of nlite, select your windows source of choice with already sp slipped, and select in nlite to only apply registry tweaks , we do it this way to easier manage the result, and find nlite.inf (nlite.in_) on your windows source folder.

This way you can merge those tweaks with your tweaks, and fix any errors of those nlite tweaks.

Note dont remove the sfc patch tweak from nlite.inf or from your nlite presets, you will need that, if you do apply those patches/tweaks.

NB1: Caution

X-Setup plugins can fail when you select the tweak, click the apply button for it, or because of your windows doesnt support that tweak because of you have updated KB's that fixes that tweak, in terms of tweak not

longer being supported, renamed in registry etc.

NB2: Record mode in X-Setup is limited/weird. Some tweaks will apply to your host system too! so beware!

NB3: Because of NB2, only apply few tweaks per recording and under here otherwise also described.

Here's one possible scenario with X-Setup, i use the Portable version of X-Setup 9 which also allows updates to the x-setup plugins.

So first start x-setup, run the updater within it then install all plugin updates...

Now because of there are so many version of windows, there are also many plugins to x-setup and tweaks for various versions.

So i am sorry to say that for safety reasons, you should click through all of x-setup plugins, and see if that plugin fails to load.

If it fails to load, delete the plugin, or at least disable it.

Why you should go through all plugins manually and checking them?

Because, when you start record mode in x-setup, and if any plugin fails, that failure message will appear in the recordded Registry file you want to export.

If you have other work around for it, please tell me, PM if u can, so im sure to know.

Once you have done that, Start record mode, that is the BIG RED BUTTON ( lol).

Start with first category appearances, Apply only tweaks you are sure you like.

And count them! For example try to keep to 20 registry tweaks per file/per recording!

This will make it MUCH easier to organize tweaks later on, you can always merge all registry files later!

Also you should do this in case the x-setup plugin FAILS when you click the apply button for it! (it can fail when you select the plugin/tweak, OR when you hit that apply button)

You stop recording by clicking that big red button one more time.

This a lengthy process. It is, but fruits of labour are worth it.

Apply tweaks with regedit /s myperformancetweaks.reg from guirunonce or from a runonceex.inf , whatever rocks your boat.

Note1: Yes you export your tweaks to a .reg (registry file) afterwards.

Note2: Open that .reg file you just recorded in notepad, you will see that X-Setup writes comments for some tweaks, this is neat!

Edited by TranceEnergy

Alright, so I'll start doing this tonight.

I should start from a fresh XP install (from nLite), got it.

Must I really break the steps into parts?

Also, what if I don't have an internet connection when I am tweaking? How can I update X-Setup/ plugins ?

Download X-Setup portable version, update it when u have internet available, and when done updating close program and simply copy the x-setup portable folder to your usb-stick or whatever.

Sorry but i've been busy with other things. I will get back to this kind of thing later on.

You dont need to break up the process if you dont feel like it, i was just trying to come up with suggestions in order to make the process as safe as possible.

Another good way of tweaking is to take your installed windows of choice and goto regedit and find control panel and export your keyboard settings/mouse settings/desktop settings/sound settings/theme settings etc etc, both for your user/default user etc.

F.ex i did that and it was the *ONLY* way i could get a perfect "No Sounds" sound scheme on the installed os.Eliminating the " " no name sound scheme , annoyance, and of course other sound themes.

Gimme some time and i'll write a huge how-to guide with everything readily available, hopefully within a few weeks.

Apply tweaks with regedit /s myperformancetweaks.reg from guirunonce or from a runonceex.inf , whatever rocks your boat.

How exactly do I do this?

Do I need to put the reg file into the source root and then run GUIRUNONCE commands?

%source% is a bit special it doesnt need the "\" right after it.

So f.ex in nlite set it to run as an example in your preset/last session change this to

[GuiRunOnce]

TimeOut /T 30

CMD /R %Source%XP.bat

Rem One File 2 Rule Them All xD

rem Example (rem means comment or whatever, can use echo if you like instead)

cmd /R %source%setup\tweak\init_tweaks-before_the_storm.bat

---

example content of before the storm batch file

Copy /Y %Source%setup\WinUp.lnk "%allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Windows Update.lnk"

taskkill /IM ctfmon.exe

cmd /R %Source%setup\Tweak\Tweak-000-customize_bootini.bat

cmd /R %source%setup\Tweak\Tweak-001-MakeInstallDirs.bat

regedit /s %source%setup\Tweak\Tweak-001-SetInstallDirs.reg

regedit /s %source%setup\Tweak\Tweak-010-Settings-NoMouseAccel.reg

regedit /s %source%setup\Tweak\Tweak-011-Settings-MouseCursors.reg

etc....

hm i need to 2 some renaming...

Hope this helps?

btw %source% is a path created with nlite, which you dont have to worry about, %source% translates to D:\ f.ex if that is the current drive letter for you cd/dvd drive.

Edited by TranceEnergy