Slipstream option disappears?!

shantd

Wow, what a nightmare. I'm trying to setup a dual boot configuration. Installed Vista ultimate 64 first, then XP. Trying to get Vista back but the "repair your computer" option on the recovery disk won't work because I've since installed SP1, so I installed vlite, WAIK, the contents of my Vista disc to the desktop along with the SP1 installer. I startup vlite, point it to the Vista folder and after a few seconds of loading, the slipstream option on the left disappears before my eyes. The slipstream checkbox that's supposed to be there is not. Why could this be happening? Anybody else seen this? Please help! Much appreciated,

Shant D.

It usually does that when you browse to the already SP1 version, why slipstream into a SP1. Can you confirm that yours is not RTM?

Btw that disappearing is ugly, that is a glitch, it should be invisible from the start on other than RTM source. Fixed in next one.

I don't know about your problem, vLite has always worked 100% for me every time, I will suggest you put xp first and then vista .. I have it that way on 3 pc's with no problems ...

Thanks for the input maz. If I could go back indeed I would go XP first then Vista, but it's a bit too late for that now. If there's absolutely no way to resolve this and I've exhausted every possible option then I suppose I will have to re-install over Vista again. Actually that wouldn't be such a big deal because I do have my vista OS backed up with Ghost v14.0 (can't reccomend it highly enough). In fact, it just occured to me that I could always re-install Vista and then, once it's up and running, restore it via Ghost. I'm sure a fresh install would make that partition bootable again, no?

It usually does that when you browse to the already SP1 version, why slipstream into a SP1.

Thank you nuhi. Perhaps you're right, but if it already has SP1 on it, then why would the "repair your computer" option fail and tell me that I have the wrong version of Vista?

Can you confirm that yours is not RTM?

How can I confirm this?

I am not really familiar with playing around with boot settings, but have you tried any programs like EasyBCD?

Yeah, sure have. I followed the procedure outlining how to add boot entries ("add/remove entries" option) but it did nothing because I believe I need to restore/repair the vista boot files first. Same situation with VistaBoot Pro. Then again, I could be wrong. Can you use either program to setup a dual boot configuration (Vista first, XP second) using no other program at all? In other words, are these programs capable of actually repairing/restoring your MBR for vista, along with boot.ini, etc...?

Have you tried bootsect.exe on your vista dvd in the boot folder? Just did a quick search on Google and found this thread that might help you? Although they are talking about Linux there might be some info to help you out?

Edited by mazmorbid

It usually does that when you browse to the already SP1 version, why slipstream into a SP1.

Thank you nuhi. Perhaps you're right, but if it already has SP1 on it, then why would the "repair your computer" option fail and tell me that I have the wrong version of Vista?

Can you confirm that yours is not RTM?

How can I confirm this?

That's different issue now, I am not in charge of Vista recovery console.

First make sure that the content of the DVD is actually the same version as installed.

Why Vista recovery didn't detect...well did you install XP on different or on the same partition as where your Vista was?

Can you run some sort of command like to initiate boot fix, like Vista WinPE or Recovery Console?